Silkie and poop in feathers

Maybe place her on the higher roost at night. So she gets the hint? Lol is she able to hop up to that higher roost without help? Just trying to think of ways to solve your dirty bird problem!
I don't think that would work. The chickens higher in the pecking order tend to get the higher rung... and they might fight her for it...plus then they will be pooed on!

Maybe place her on the higher roost at night. So she gets the hint? Lol is she able to hop up to that higher roost without help? Just trying to think of ways to solve your dirty bird problem!
she is able to do it by herself but the others beat her to it and if she does beat them to it then they pick on her because it's night time and there trying to show their place. The only bird I put her by is my rooster because he knows not to touch her.

I don't think that would work. The chickens higher in the pecking order tend to get the higher rung... and they might fight her for it...plus then they will be pooed on!
I've never actually seen them have poop on their feathers. since there standard birds and I only have one silkie. The standards don't get the poop stuck in their feathers i guess it slides off them lol.

Both of my roost are the same height, except spaced a couple feet apart. I only have one small bantam that sleeps higher in the rafters. All my silkies was "floor" sleepers. I ended up moving them to a smaller coop. Maybe try moving the lower roost out from under the higher one.

Both of my roost are the same height, except spaced a couple feet apart. I only have one small bantam that sleeps higher in the rafters. All my silkies was "floor" sleepers. I ended up moving them to a smaller coop. Maybe try moving the lower roost out from under the higher one.
well I have a higher one and lower one for the different heights because I thought that was what your supposed to do give them options

Personally, if she is a floor sleeper, I'd make a box or slightly secluded area for her to sleep in and just put her there every night and make sure she sleeps there, bam-no more pooey feathers.

well I have a higher one and lower one for the different heights because I thought that was what your supposed to do give them options
I gave mine the option, they all went to the higher wooden ladder I hung long ways. Now that I raised the other roost, they use both of them. 🤷‍♀️ chickens are picky some times

Back
Top Bottom