Silkie babies

boboshortbus

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2016
Pennellville NY
I just got 9 Silkie babies was told gender isn't noticeable to about 6 months of age

My babies are 6 weeks old

You might be able to tell sooner on some. They are still young yet. Look for combs that pink earlier than the rest and wattles developing.

All roosters will get pink combs sooner than pullets, so assume any that are showing pink already are probably roosters, some silkies don't get red or pink in their comb and it stays darker, so look for wider or bigger combs. Photos don't always show what you can see in person so I can't guess by your photos. You should be able to tell most of them before 6 months, though some will leave you guessing that long.

Not sure if you can see it good in these pics but I was looking at combs last night like you suggested and little one is the only one so far showing a reddish pink at top

All roosters will get pink combs sooner than pullets, so assume any that are showing pink already are probably roosters, some silkies don't get red or pink in their comb and it stays darker, so look for wider or bigger combs. Photos don't always show what you can see in person so I can't guess by your photos. You should be able to tell most of them before 6 months, though some will leave you guessing that long.

I'm just giving you a good guess, maybe try posting in the what breed and gender forum and see what those people think.

Back
Top Bottom