Silkie Bantam lost her wing and now I think has an abscess---HELP!

jlsmith2281

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Hello Everyone!

I was given a 6-8 week old Silkie Bantam a few weeks ago. The poor thing has had a terrible go of it. We sectioned off a part of our coop so the other chickens could see her and get used to her but not attack her. She got caught up in the wire and was close to the outer coop wire and a hawk attacked her pulling her wing through the hole. It was broken and picked clean. We brought her in and I really didn't think she would make it with the bone so exposed, but she did. She lived for 1.5 weeks before reinjuring the wing and completely breaking the wing to the point she lost it completely. Again...I didn't think she would make it but she has.

I just noticed that she has a large bump where the wing was and I feel it is an abscess. I have cleaned it with peroxide but I think she needs antibiotics. I have called The Tractor Supply, Agway, and even Petco only to be told they don't have any antibiotics. I have called vets and none take care of chickens. The other vets that are hours from me want me to bring her in and look at her. I can't afford the large vet bills and was hoping someone here could help me out with some suggestions. I didn't know if you could find antibiotics online?

She is acting just fine. She is eating and drinking and very active. I am hoping to keep her this way!

Thank you!

Jill

Does anyone have suggestions to help the chicken with the infection? This is my first time with a sick chicken....

Back
Top Bottom