Silkie Bantams?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rkitlee, Dec 11, 2010.

1. rkitlee

rkitlee New Egg

Dec 11, 2010
    Hey, so i just convinced my mom to get me some chickens![​IMG] Originally i was gonna get a dog, but we were short on money. So instead i ordered some silkies. I wanted bantams because they are small and look cool. However i have no chicken experience whatsoever. I do not intend to breed chickens, i just want them as pets. I want to know how to take care of these chickens, what i need to take care of them. i want them to be around for a while. sorry if there is a thread about this somewhere.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. Joey8765

Joey8765 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Australia
    i just bought a silkie bantam and she is an amazing pet, i named her pearl because she is white. [​IMG] they are really loving, unlike other chickens, but they do get picked on by other chickens

okay well you obviously need food and water, you can buy them at the local grain store / feed store and you need a coop as well so get one of them and then you can put wood shavings or hay in their nest and you also need roosts (poles that they sleep on)
    hope that helped
    im pretty new to all this stuff to!

joseph

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]

There's a search button near the top of the index. I find sometimes it's difficult to get the answers your looking for, in which case you can certainly make a thread about specific items of interest in the correct sections of the forum. [​IMG] It would take me all through the night just to post how to care and manage chickens. But independently, you'll find what your looking for as a general. The rest comes with learning and your own experience.

There really is too much to post. However, I can tell you that Silkies are favored for their calm and personable disposition. But they're still chickens. So first, concentrate on learning about chickens as a whole, then start reading up on Silkies.

G'luck.

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    [​IMG]

just to wet your appetite for silkies, love my silkies

5. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Don't bother with roosts, they much rather pile on the floor in a huge fluff ball.

6. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    my full-grown silkies only roost from 2-4 feet off the ground. raising chickens is so much fun, and before you know it you'll have more than just a few. [​IMG] all a chicken NEEDS is food, water and a nice coop also either freerange or have a coverd run. just have fun and if you have any ?'s pm me and i'll try to anser.

7. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    You also need oyster shell, to help the egg shells to get harder, and grit to help with digestion. [​IMG]

8. Nat123

Nat123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Home Sweet Home
    [​IMG] I love looking at silkies pics and more at bantam silkies pics! They are so cute!

9. rkitlee

rkitlee New Egg

Dec 11, 2010
    Thanks for all the help guys! Turns out, im getting a silver seabright, and a quail Antwerp Belgian bantam. I hear that seabrights get a little cocky at times, but not aggressive. Thats what my friend said but i still need to know if there are important things i need to know about these chickens. I am a new chicken owner, and a new pet owner also!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by