1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Silkie Baths?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by layne517, Feb 24, 2016.

1. layne517

layne517 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2015
    I have 2 Silikies and 12 other various other breeds. Well, my Silkies insist on sleeping under the roosts. Sooooo they constantly have chicken poop on them at all times. It's driving me crazy, but I'm at a loss what to do. Any suggestions?

2. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Could you make a box for them to sleep in so they would be protected from the poop falling? Maybe you could put a poop catching tray on top of the box.

3. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Well I would bath them and put in poop boards under the roost so the poop don't fall down on them and just clean the poop boards when they get nasty u could put sand on them and then just take a cat pooper scooper and just put the poop in a bucket and carry it over to the garden

1 person likes this.
  4. layne517

layne517 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2015
    Poop boards are a great idea. I do deep litter, so I guess I could just scrape it off to the floor.

5. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    I have silkies too. I found that they will roost if there are roosting poles lower to the ground. I have added a few for them that are out from under my larger birds. This helped with the issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by