silkie behavior

Quote:
lau.gif

Oh a truer thing has never been said...

Oh Seminole you're killing me. That's their death purr. It means they are almost ready
for fresh blood. Nice knowin you

That is too funny.
I noticed with my silkies, only the boys make that noise...

Quote:
Oh Seminole you're killing me. That's their death purr. It means they are almost ready
for fresh blood. Nice knowin you...

I guess I'll let them out in the morning and take my pitchfork with me; maybe carry it with me for a while

Quote:
Thaaaat's what I thought. Might have 2 boys, but 1 that I am convinced is a boy.

One of my silkie hens makes that purring sound.

Thanks, the more hens the better.

our silkies are very easy to catch and very sociable we got them at 3-4yrs old from a friend. She had hatched them herself with her own silkies and never handled them. However if one wants to lay an egg and you walk into the garage she starts up the most god awful bauking we have actually tossed them back out last summer when we were trying to build our duck house because they just wouldn't shut up. We would have to close up the door though cause she would just come right back in and start up again otherwise. We have boxes outside as well and if we closed the door she would lay out there. Our black one (Ebony) is the worst. But she is also our favorite broody hen.

I've had my silkie for just over a month now. She is very friendly. When I come home from work she comes to greet me. I can call her name and pick her up. She is the only silkie I have. My other hens are mean to her and chase her, but they are starting to chase less now. I have another chicken that lives in my oak tree, she just moved in on New Year's Day and my other hens chase her too, so the silkie and her have become friends. But the silkie sleeps in the tack room in a box at night, the other hens go into their pen at dark and I shut the gate.

So a barking silkie? Their little noises are weird. I love them.
I hate when they're last in the pecking order. I think they look sad. My Polish is at the bottom and she stays to herself alot, avoids everyone. I try being extra nice to her.

Back
Top Bottom