Silkie boys - coloration questions

TrystInn

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 16, 2009
Western Massachusetts
We have two Silkie boys that we're thinking to breed this Spring but there's some disagreement as to what specifically they are color/patternwise and are hoping folks can help us sort it out so we can plan for what color of chicks we'd like to have them breed.

We also have a generation of chicks from them, off of a black hen, should that be of help:

Here's Napoleon Blownaparte:

Here's Grumpus Minimus:

Thank you!

Last edited:
Have no guesses here, but I have to say how much I love their names, hahaha
clap.gif

they have white earlobes, silkies have blue and they are sizzles which means that they are mixed with a silkie and a frizzle. there really is no telling what color they are nor what they are mixed with. they also have no silkie feathering on them. the black hen in the pic is also a silkie mix or polish mix. if i had to choose which to breed i would use the 2nd rooster, i like his color and over all look better than the 1st rooster

Thanks, everyone. We were wondering if we should focus on breeding one or the other of the two, Napoleon is a bit friendlier and Grumpus is a nipper but they do get along quite well in the same coop and pen. The ladies seem to have sorted themselves out among them, but that's we have two other Silkie cockerels, so having 4 is a bit MUCH for a little back yard project breeder like me. The neighbors are good sports and we want to keep them that way.

Fiddlehead: Thank you! We find the bantams so much fun, we've tried to keep to punny names. We also have a white Silkie cockerel named Lancepoof (he was almost Lance-aloofa) and a Splash Silkie cockerel (we think, dang these things are hard to sex) we're still trying to find a name for.

Hdowden: You're absolutely right! The black hen is a Silkie mix from a Sizzle breeding program and sings beautifully. She breeds Sizzles and smooth-feathereds just like her. Very much Silkie behavior, sweet, great mother, etc. She's been our go-to foster mother and broody hen since she was a pullet. She's even foster mothered a duckling, even when it grew taller than her.

Back
Top Bottom