Jun 16, 2009
central P.A.
hello, i want to know all there is to know about breeding silkies

what genes are dominant
what birds to sell
what birds to keep and why
what birds to breed together
what genes dont i want in a flock and what to look out for

decide where you draw the line on certain traits. Any birds that don't meet your own guidelines, put them in a different cage or pen. Leave them there for at least a few days to be sure you don't get seller's remorse. Sometiemes if you have a few days to think it over, you realize that one bird's four toe'dness can be over ruled by its spectacular topknot and bright blue ears, small, symetrical black comb and almost invisible wattlles... It is just up to you. Not one bird anywhere is perfect. You have to decide how many you want to feed, and calculate carefully which birds are most likely to get you to your goal and keep those. Sell the rest no matter how many there are. One extra or twenty, all have to go.

Do you already have Silkies? If not, then the first step is to acquire the very best breeding stock you can afford. That will make the rest a lot easier.
wink.png

i have silkies but they arent old enough to breed yet and i dont want to put too much money into hatching eggs.
i want better quality silkies but parents wont let me spend much on
"chickens" they think its not worth it i can post pics if you like

The most important thing of all is type. If you have perfect feet, perfect crest & perfect comb, but type is like a modern game or a d'uccle, you will place last every time.

Four toes are easy to correct; single comb is easy to correct; dark skin but red comb is HARD.

Get a copy of the standard and learn what it says about all the traits. Look at photos of birds who place well at shows. Learn to recognize a good bird when you see it.

Get the best quality breeder birds you can--if your parents aren't willing to spend the price of a good breeding pair--ask if they would spend more if it were a birthday or early Christmas present. Ask for extra jobs you can do around the house or for neighbors to earn part of the cost.

For starting, concentrate on one variety--you can add more later if you choose. After type, I would look for the birds with the most silkie feathers: longer, softer feathers, as well as more silkie feathering on the wings, feet and tail, areas that often have more regular feathers.

Every breeder seems to have their own particular thing that they are very picky about. With some it is wings, with others comb, with others toes. What really matters is the whole bird. If you are looking at several, sort of distance yourself and look over them all. Which one jumps out at you and says "I'm a cut above the others!" That's the one you want.

wow thanks for the advice that's the best advice have gotten so far. I can save up enough money I am getting a summer job in a little bit at a farm detasseling corn for $200 a week so i will definetly have the money by the end of the summer but i just wish i knew more people that breed silkies so i could learn more from them.
what breeders do you recommend and what color would you recommend?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom