Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

There is SO much more to judging than just colour. In fact, colour is probably rather low on the list. Every judge has his or her own priorities. DO ask the judge for their opinion and make it clear that you really would like to learn so they feel free to give you an honest opinion but also, keep in mind, it is just THEIR opinion of the bird on that day. Next weekend, different day, different judge, might be a whole new ballgame.

I see the darker head and hackle on your bird. It definitely doesn't look like a "self-blue" (aka. lavender) to me. It's a blue bird. Blue is a tough colour. Don't take it personally. And keep learning!!!
Thanks, I love her, I know it's all about the judge. that was the only thing written on the card so I don't know what the other reason was until I ask him. OH I got professional pictures of Ice and Toulouse
big_smile.png
I will have to post them when I get them.

"Self-blue" is the show name for lavender which requires two copies of the lav gene. Completely unrelated to anything from a B/B/S pen. A "Blue" is supposed to have a dark hackle and head but it doesn't always happen even with hard feathered birds. But that doesn't make it "self-blue".
I have heard that there are breeders out there that use Self blue birds in their BBS pens. How is that beneficial? I would be completely confused.

Ok so I went to the show today and here are my two girls I took...splash and a blue...

My splash was not in the best of condition but came 4th out of 7...and my blue girls won 1st and BV out of 5 so i was happy
wee.gif

...a really nice lady from North Carolina who only breeds splash had amazing splash silkies...some of the best I'd seen and she won BB and RB..

oh and I came home with a quad of bantan cochins...splash and blue mottled...
hide.gif
ya.gif

Ok so I went to the show today and here are my two girls I took...splash and a blue... My splash was not in the best of condition but came 4th out of 7...and my blue girls won 1st and BV out of 5 so i was happy :weee ...a really nice lady from North Carolina who only breeds splash had amazing splash silkies...some of the best I'd seen and she won BB and RB.. oh and I came home with a quad of bantan cochins...splash and blue mottled... :oops: :ya
I showed my silkie as well! She came out 4th. Those splash ones were BEAUTIFUL!

I can't remember who was wanting good quality white silkies but do remember they live in GA. There is going to be a woman at the Newnan, GA show Feb.16th who has beautiful ones. She has been breeding, I believe, 14 years now. I am getting a pair from her when I meet her at the show. Her name is Kathy Barba of Fancy Dancin Chickens. She was at a show I attended last Nov and I am still kicking myself for not buying the pair she had there.

My problem with my true blacks is I cannot get a male!! Any other time I would have 5 but not the blacks. I want an all black pen in order to continue the true blacks. I do need to post more pics of mine to know absolutely for certain they all are true black. I have 2 hens and a black SG. I guess that is what I will be looking for at the Newnan show if I can't find reliable eggs. Actually for my breeding I would rather see what I am getting unless someone her suggest a breeder I can trust.

I have 3 Blue SG roos...they are pet quality. Their wattles and combs are a dark red. This is not acceptable right? They are nice but too many flaws for anything other than to make pretty yard ornaments.

When I was cleaning feet last week I noticed something. A lot of my silkies don't have a toenail on the outside toes....and a lot of these are unrelated. Is this common...maybe from scratching?

OK...my buff pullet...comments please! She is 5 mo. old. What age does pullets have to be to show?
She was walking away before I could get the pic

A little unbalanced on the wire...will try for better pics as soon as the muck is gone this week.....I hope.
roll.png

And here is the booty

Will have to get a better pic of the feet

\\

Top of her feet....as well as mine..
big_smile.png

I am giving her a bath this week....will send better pics then...just want to get an idea before I get my hopes up.

Ok so I went to the show today and here are my two girls I took...splash and a blue...

My splash was not in the best of condition but came 4th out of 7...and my blue girls won 1st and BV out of 5 so i was happy
wee.gif

...a really nice lady from North Carolina who only breeds splash had amazing splash silkies...some of the best I'd seen and she won BB and RB..

oh and I came home with a quad of bantan cochins...splash and blue mottled...
hide.gif
ya.gif

They are gorgeous!

DragonLady and all,
Several of us on this thread are trying hard to find true blacks...which has turned out to be quite a challenge. Here are some of the obstacles we face. If you can share any feedback, it would be appreciated.

1) How can we identify whether a black bird comes from a BBS pen or is a pure black pen?

2) How can we tell whether a dark bird is a blue rather than black?

3) What is "wrong" with breeding a black from a BBS pen to a black from a pure black pen?

4) If black birds coming from BBS pens were bred together, would their offspring be considered pure black? Can a pure black line eventually be created out of BBS blacks?

5) Lastly, there are black birds from pure black pens that have a browner underfluff and tone. I have heard that these turn into the best blacks after their first molt. This seems confusing...?

For those of us striving to create pure black pens, do you all have any suggestions?

Anyone have any thoughts to share?

Back
Top Bottom