Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Yes, I have read on here and many places to give ACV for sour crop. ACV is used for a preventative for sour crop. If a bird gets sour crop while on ACV there is an under lying issue. That needs to be addressed. I think you could never say enough about the positives of ACV. I make my own and use a gallon a month for my birds.

Yes, I have read on here and many places to give ACV for sour crop. ACV is used for a preventative for sour crop. If a bird gets sour crop while on ACV there is an under lying issue. That needs to be addressed. I think you could never say enough about the positives of ACV. I make my own and use a gallon a month for my birds.
So is it okay I add a little to their water every day or should I be giving it every few days instead?

Not sure if it is hereditary, but it makes the bird pet quality
he.gif
. I would love to heard more in the subject though.

Here are two pictures to compare:

This one has good toes:

And this one has the duck feet: Can you see the nail going forward instead of backward?

Have you done any test breeding from that hen? I would be VERY interested in hear what Sonoran or Dragonlady have to say about the subject. I don't know if I'd pet her out if you havent at least seen what she throws when bred to a nice roo with proper feet.

Quote: I have had it in my chickens water for years..never go with out..it keeps the water from getting sludgy..keeps the waters from getting slimy. It add beneficial nutrients, and allows the birds to absorb more from the food you give them. Helps to prevent cocci and deters worms. It makes the intestines and gut flora inhospitable to nasty stuff. It is a win win. However it cures nothing. It fixes nothing. You have to have healthy birds. It is great, cheap maintenance.

I have had it in my chickens water for years..never go with out..it keeps the water from getting sludgy..keeps the waters from getting slimy. It add beneficial nutrients, and allows the birds to absorb more from the food you give them. Helps to prevent cocci and deters worms. It makes the intestines and gut flora inhospitable to nasty stuff. It is a win win. However it cures nothing. It fixes nothing. You have to have healthy birds. It is great, cheap maintenance.
Okay good, I have been giving it for about a month regularly now. But yeah I think she is okay, just drank a lot of water.

Have you done any test breeding from that hen? I would be VERY interested in hear what Sonoran or Dragonlady have to say about the subject. I don't know if I'd pet her out if you havent at least seen what she throws when bred to a nice roo with proper feet.
There is a picture of a duck foot in the APA SOP. The back toe that normally points to the rear folds forward and under. A bird with duck feet will stand looking like it almost might tip forward as it can't rest on that back toe. Not a good thing. I would not breed a bird with true duck feet. It is a DQ for a reason.

Quote: Yes, and it is. Try gogling "duckfoot in chickens" and you will get all kinds of strange results
he.gif
But it is better than simply googling "duckfoot."

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/05/21/s...biochemical-signal.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm is not really about duckfoot, but it IS an interesting article. http://books.google.com/books?id=Vt...BMA4#v=onepage&q=duckfoot in chickens&f=false is more on webbing. Both are interesting reads.

Webbing is another DQ. I have seen it a time or two...very odd. What I've seen was not complete webbing, but a small amount between two toes.

With webbing you could actually snip off the webbing when the bird is only a day or two old. With acgtual duck foot, where all toes point forward, there really isn't any treatment. Now I have seen injured toes heal incorrectly and look like duckfoot, And in that case, taping the toes into the correct position until they heal completely should solve the problem. I suppose it is possible to try taping the toes for birds born with duckfoot...

Back
Top Bottom