Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

If you have a debit card or Visa/MC gift card, you can use it with paypal.  Some people do not accept money orders--too easy to fake--I don't know if Peep does or does not.

yea i know...but i dont have one lol so im glad she does take money orders but i may have to get one soon if i buy a whole lot more things on the internet

I'm so glad I took a peek at that link and read about Infectious Coryza! I think that's what one of our hens has! She has the nasal discharge, sneezing, and swelling of the face under the eyes.

Gallimycin PFC will cure Infectious Coryza??
And is there a difference between the Gallimycin PFC and Gallimycin-100 injection?

Am I in big trouble here???

Last edited:
I need a little help with my silkies, I had 2 Hens sitting on eggs I got the Silkies from a lady and she gave me all the eggs the hens was sitting on. I Brought them home they cit the whole ride home well one chick hatched and the other 19 are not fertile. I have a White Rooster and 6 hens how can i get them to Mate or is the fur in the way? If he is older will he mate them? And if I need to cut fur how do I go about that? I want to sat Thanks IN advance

Daniel

I suggest putting 3 hens in two separate pens. Rotate the rooster between the pens every 3-4 days. Hens can store the roosters sperm for 2-3 weeks, so a mating every day is not needed.

Some will say put all 6 hens in with him, but then he has too many choices to mate with and will only mate with the ones he chooses.

If your rooster is very old, try 1-2 hens for him.

My fertility is best with only 2-3 hens per rooster, no need to shave them.

Another method is to only mate 3 hens of the 6. Remove the rooster for 3 days, then put him back in the pen with the hens for 3 days.
Then remove him again and repeat the process. This should increase fertility, because you are giving the rooster time to rest before the next mating.

I often use the above method when mating my best birds to increase fertility and to prevent over mating damage to my hens.

Last edited:
I suggest putting 3 hens in two separate pens.  Rotate the rooster between the pens every 3-4 days.  Hens can store the roosters sperm for 2-3 weeks, so a mating every day is not needed.

Some will say put all 6 hens in with him, but then he has too many choices to mate with and will only mate with the ones he chooses.

If your rooster is very old, try 1-2 hens for him.

My fertility is best with only 2-3 hens per rooster, no need to shave them. 

Another method is to only mate 3 hens of the 6.  Remove the rooster for 3 days, then put him back in the pen with the hens for 3 days.
Then remove him again and repeat the process.   This should increase fertility, because you are giving the rooster time to rest before the next mating.

I often use the above method when mating my best birds to increase fertility and to prevent over mating damage to my hens.

hey since u seem to be the mating expert at the moment lol i thought id pick ur brain i had a breedinf pair of whites and switched the hen ovrr to a new roo i knoe a good rule of them is to wait around a month but im really crunched for time and was wonderjng if u had a different opinion on how long i should wait i asked the silkie thread but nobody replyed

I went to a breeding seminar taught by DR. Bramwell of University of Arkansas. He said the sperm is piled on layer by layer and the older sperm is absorbed and the newer is used to fertilize.

He said that in 3 days the newer roosters sperm will fertilize the eggs.* Exception: If either one is new to mating ( too young and just started breeding)
It was taught that it is not needed to wait 3 weeks for the hen to empty, before breeding to a new male.

He actually did a test to prove his theory at one point in time.

I would assume this was and should be done with a 1 on 1 mating.

I think someone recorded the seminar and it should be on youtube if you want to watch it.

By the way, i am no expert. I just take the experts advice use it to help myself and others.

Last edited:
You need to do more reading. No one can tell you over the internet what you have. Take the bird to the vet and get a conformation.
I've done tons of reading. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. But the Infectious Coryza seems to fit the bill perfectly. We do have a vet appointment for next week. Didn't think it would hurt to ask anyway.

Back
Top Bottom