Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

hehe...they have to grow on you
tongue.png

The bow tie helps.
wink.png

Nori layed a "rubber egg" at some point... Just found it in the shavings. They have been throwing their bedding all around so I have been having a hard time finding her eggs so I don't know what day it may have been. She layed a regular one yesterday though. What should I watch out for if she has any issues? Her bum is dirty again, but I trimmed up the feathers the other day so it isn't bad. She keeps getting a very dirty bum, but her poops are normal. Any suggestions?

I have been searching for an illustration of perfect silkie feet - in particular exact feathering and the way 5th toe is position - how much space, any space etc between. I have batch of chicks around 4-5 weeks old and I want to decide what to keep. I think this may be a good way to decide.

Any help??

I have been searching for an illustration of perfect silkie feet - in particular exact feathering and the way 5th toe is position - how much space, any space etc between. I have batch of chicks around 4-5 weeks old and I want to decide what to keep. I think this may be a good way to decide.

Any help??
Are you an ASBC member, there are some photo albums there with feet and critiques.. as well as ones with wings, combs type crests etc. I refer to them often when I have questions. Also, prefect is idfferent for different people.. some obsess about spacing of particular toes, relative toe length, etc.

Last edited:
Ok, I have finally read this thread from the beginning. Some beautiful birds and really interesting discussions.

One thing which has been mentioned a couple of times but not in depth is not to cross bearded and non-bearded Silkies.

I am just starting out with Silkies, and I have 3 Silkie hens (1 Buff non-bearded, 2 Blue bearded), 2 Silkie crosses hens (Blue Frizzle non-bearded and black/gold mix bearded) and one Silkie rooster. (Black Partridge, non-bearded) I want to use what I have to create blue partridge non-bearded. I have had no luck finding them, so I guess I will make some myself! I know I will have a mish-mash of colors when I cross the Black Partridge non-bearded rooster to the Buff non-bearded female - but what happens when I cross him to the Blue bearded female?

I won't be using my original blue Silkie to breed, after seeing the beautiful birds on this thread I can see how terrible she really looks. No crest, long back, terrible foot feathering - she will remain a pet (and given eggs to brood when she feels like it). She was a hatchery bird, but her friendliness and great broody and mothering skills made me want more silkies.

Basically my question is: what happens when you cross bearded to non-bearded silkies? I imagine it is very bad if you are trying to get bearded birds because it reduces the beard gene and you could loose it, but what if I want non-bearded birds? I know in EEs you can loose the beards completely, so can this be done with Silkies too without loosing the nice crests from the bearded ones? Is there anything else that I could mess up by crossing them?

Thanks for any help with this.

Ok, I have finally read this thread from the beginning.  Some beautiful birds and really interesting discussions.

One thing which has been mentioned a couple of times but not in depth is not to cross bearded and non-bearded Silkies.

I am just starting out with Silkies, and I have 3 Silkie hens (1 Buff non-bearded, 2 Blue bearded), 2 Silkie crosses hens (Blue Frizzle non-bearded and black/gold mix bearded) and one Silkie rooster. (Black Partridge, non-bearded)    I want to use what I have to create blue partridge non-bearded.  I have had no luck finding them, so I guess I will make some myself!  I know I will have a mish-mash of colors when I cross the Black Partridge non-bearded rooster to the Buff non-bearded female - but what happens when I cross him to the Blue bearded female? 

I won't be using my original blue Silkie to breed, after seeing the beautiful birds on this thread I can see how terrible she really looks.  No crest, long back, terrible foot feathering - she will remain a pet (and given eggs to brood when she feels like it).  She was a hatchery bird, but her friendliness and great broody and mothering skills made me want more silkies.

Basically my question is: what happens when you cross bearded to non-bearded silkies?  I imagine it is very bad if you are trying to get bearded birds because it reduces the beard gene and you could loose it, but what if I want non-bearded birds?  I know in EEs you can loose the beards completely, so can this be done with Silkies too without loosing the nice crests from the bearded ones?  Is there anything else that I could mess up by crossing them?

Thanks for any help with this.

if u breed non and bearded u will get a mix of both and lower quality ones to get non u just breed nons good luck looks like u got ur hands ful

Are you an ASBC member, there are some photo albums there with feet and critiques.. as well as ones with wings, combs type crests etc. I refer to them often when I have questions. Also, prefect is idfferent for different people.. some obsess about spacing of particular toes, relative toe length, etc. 

can u share some pics plz!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom