Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Okay we're back from the vet, he actually was able to remove the egg whole, but he gave her a sort of external c-section. He had to slowly pull out her ovaduct, kind of turn it inside out, but when he got to the egg it was actually sort of twisted in the membrane of the ovaduct so he had to make an incision to remove it then stitched her back up. Now to keep her from laying anymore I'm trying to make her go broody so she will stop. Any suggestions? I got some of the plastic easter eggs and filled them with sand and gave them to her in a covered kennel.
Im gald he was able to get the egg removed. Wish I had some experience to share with you... hope all goes well.

Okay we're back from the vet, he actually was able to remove the egg whole, but he gave her a sort of external c-section. He had to slowly pull out her ovaduct, kind of turn it inside out, but when he got to the egg it was actually sort of twisted in the membrane of the ovaduct so he had to make an incision to remove it then stitched her back up. Now to keep her from laying anymore I'm trying to make her go broody so she will stop. Any suggestions? I got some of the plastic easter eggs and filled them with sand and gave them to her in a covered kennel.
You should begin to meal feed her I.e. a bit in the morning and a bit in the afternoon. Basically to inhibit reproduction she needs to be only having enough calories to support her own body not extra for reproduction. It's like a marathon runner, they do not ovulate because they are barely getting enough calories to support their high energy needs and no more so their body knows they can't support another life. Make sure you keep her in only around 8-10 hours of light daily, be wary of outside lights (street lights etc) that may come thru. There has to be a 10fold difference to be able to distinguish dark from light for chickens. Because silkies are seasonal breeders, the longer days (12 hours of light or more) indicate they should be reproducing. By keeping her in the dark, she will think it is winter. The most important thing is to do both, nutrition can override light sensitivity. Avian biology major at UGA - I've done lots of repro studies on chickens. Glad she is all better!!

I have used golf balls, and I also use rock eggs (I collect rocks). I think the plastic filled with sand will work too, did you glue the eggs shut?

Twist in the ovaduct and surgery sounds scary - did he remove any upcoming eggs to help slow the process down while she heals?

I hope the broody trick works fast enough
fl.gif

Wow, great advice above. I hope I never need to use it, but it's good to know.

Last edited:
You should begin to meal feed her I.e. a bit in the morning and a bit in the afternoon. Basically to inhibit reproduction she needs to be only having enough calories to support her own body not extra for reproduction. It's like a marathon runner, they do not ovulate because they are barely getting enough calories to support their high energy needs and no more so their body knows they can't support another life. Make sure you keep her in only around 8-10 hours of light daily, be wary of outside lights (street lights etc) that may come thru. There has to be a 10fold difference to be able to distinguish dark from light for chickens. Because silkies are seasonal breeders, the longer days (12 hours of light or more) indicate they should be reproducing. By keeping her in the dark, she will think it is winter. The most important thing is to do both, nutrition can override light sensitivity.

Avian biology major at UGA - I've done lots of repro studies on chickens.

Glad she is all better!!
Thanks! I have her in a back room in a cage under a sheet so it blocks some of the light so she will go broody, but I will make sure to put a thick blanket over her when I need her to be in complete darkness. I will also decrease her food amount.
I have used golf balls, and I also use rock eggs (I collect rocks). I think the plastic filled with sand will work too, did you glue the eggs shut?

Twist in the ovaduct and surgery sounds scary - did he remove any upcoming eggs to help slow the process down while she heals?

I hope the broody trick works fast enough
fl.gif

Wow, great advice above. I hope I never need to use it, but it's good to know.
He didn't remove any others, it was an external c-section he didn't go inside. I hope it works too
fl.gif

Thanks! I have her in a back room in a cage under a sheet so it blocks some of the light so she will go broody, but I will make sure to put a thick blanket over her when I need her to be in complete darkness. I will also decrease her food amount.
He didn't remove any others, it was an external c-section he didn't go inside. I hope it works too
fl.gif
Good luck!!
hugs.gif

Help helP help me

My chicken have been picking on one another and the two that were being mean we got someone to take them
The feather were being plucked from their back and they were bleading

Back
Top Bottom