Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I read these..thanks..not one says they are toxic and birds have gotten ill from eating them. One article does state some bugs have bright red wings when they become toxic and that lets birds know not to eat them. Birds are smart. I appreciate the extra knowledge. Thank you very much.

I read these..thanks..not one says they are toxic and birds have gotten ill from eating them. One article does state some bugs have bright red wings when they become toxic and that lets birds know not to eat them. Birds are smart. I appreciate the extra knowledge. Thank you very much.
really? every one of them says they are toxic?

http://insects.about.com/od/beetles/a/10-facts-ladybugs.htm:
"A ladybug's hemolymph is both toxic and rank."

http://animalreview.wordpress.com/2008/08/04/ladybug/:
"The ladybug is poisonous – she can emit a yellow alkaloid toxin from her joints"

and the last link is all about them being poisonous?

"Watch out, birds, that lady’s poison. The redder a ladybug’s wings, the more deadly she is to predators."
“Better-fed ladybirds were redder and more toxic, and levels of color and toxicity correlated,”

but yeah that is why birds, like chickens, won't eat them, they are bright red meaning they are toxic. Just like the cardinal butterfly.

Last edited:
The only article that says anything about birds is the last article. Birds do not eat them if they are toxic to them. Apparently some bugs that have brighter wings during certain times in certain countries are toxic to certain birds. Some toxic levels are not the same for all species. You can rest assured that most normal birds will not eat bugs that are in a toxic state. Birds are just smarter than that or there would not be many around. Guinea's eat ladybugs. Your point was your worry about birds getting ill. The articles support that birds do not eat toxic bugs. So if they are eating the bugs, they obviously are not toxic to that specific species of bird.

Last edited:
I don't know where you read that but I sure would be interested in reading it. I love to learn new things. Most guinea fowl are use specifically for bug population. I have never had a guinea become ill from eating bugs, nor know of any guinea owners who have had there flock become ill from bug consumption.
I'll second that ! Guineas know what they can eat, and they will get rid of the bugs. So will wrens, which is why I have 3 families nesting in my coops. They get dusted right along with the Orps too. Last summer everybody had terrible fowl pox. None here ! My little bug eaters were at work.
Speaking of bugs...do you think guineas would eat stink bugs? I'll be thrilled if so!
I'm entering my first poultry show!!! I have the entry envelope all set, just needs a stamp! :weee We'll be going to the CT Poultry Breeders Society show in Haddam Neck. Anyone else here going? These two will be the ones going. Both 8 months old now. Ace Ventura Molly (she was maybe 6 months old in this picture)
Hi, I'd love to go to that show but we are not NPIP yet. May I ask where you got your birds tested?

How did you get wrens in your coop?
Really exciting!!
Wrens are friendly little birds who prefer to nest in close proximity to humans. I put up small baskets under the eaves for them all around my carriage house.I also have some wooden houses for them to nest in. I've had one family of wrens here for 23 years. On very cold nights there will be 8-10 wrens in one box in my garage, all sleeping together to keep warm. Morning comes, and they get busy eating bugs.

I'm entering my first poultry show!!! I have the entry envelope all set, just needs a stamp!
wee.gif

We'll be going to the CT Poultry Breeders Society show in Haddam Neck. Anyone else here going?

These two will be the ones going. Both 8 months old now.

Ace Ventura

Molly (she was maybe 6 months old in this picture)
How exciting for you.. you should have a wonderful time and you have a couple nice entries there!

Speaking of bugs...do you think guineas would eat stink bugs? I'll be thrilled if so!
Hi, I'd love to go to that show but we are not NPIP yet. May I ask where you got your birds tested?
You call your state department of agriculture. They should come out and test them for you. Mine was free but New York may not be. NH has a grant for it.

Nori is back to laying normally
wee.gif
Just looked because she was nesting and found a perfect little egg under her. Hoping she will collect a few and go broody. Should I just leave it in there for her to collect a clutch of them? Ice is also in there with her, I tried taking her out but Nori got upset her friend was leaving so I had to put her back.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom