Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Hi everyone. I'm breeding blue and splash silkies. I also have 1 white hen in with the bunch. The roo is splash. I've read numerous articles on genetics and such. I hatched out some eggs and got myself a partridge one. I know white hides color..and breeding white to color gives you a variation of partridge. So I was just wondering if anyone knows what this color might turn out to be and if the color looks more female. She/he is 4 1/2 weeks old.

Hi everyone. I'm breeding blue and splash silkies. I also have 1 white hen in with the bunch. The roo is splash. I've read numerous articles on genetics and such. I hatched out some eggs and got myself a partridge one. I know white hides color..and breeding white to color gives you a variation of partridge. So I was just wondering if anyone knows what this color might turn out to be and if the color looks more female. She/he is 4 1/2 weeks old.

Very cute chick!

From my understanding of genetics, breeding Recessive White to any color will show you what the white is hiding. Recessive white can hide any colors but it needs two copies, take one away and you will see what is underneath (plus whatever you just added). It could be buff, red, black, blue, whatever. If its a partridge - both parents have to be hiding it. Partridge can hide under any dominant color, since it is not dominant. It could be hiding under your blue or splash hens too - and probably is also hiding under the splash rooster.

Blue and Splash "should" be based on E/E but they can also be based on E/anything. The E is dominant and overpowers the other alile (sp). It is only once you cross E/e^b x E/e^b that you can get e^b/e^b which is what partridge is based on. Unfortunately there are a lot of other colors out there that look similar - e+ has chipmunk chicks too. So there is Partridge, and there is partridge.. its why its hard to make it correct for genotype when so many other things can look similar.

I have no clue what sex it can be - unfortunately sometimes you don't know until it lays an egg (because hens can crow but roosters CAN'T lay an egg).

Last edited:
Bought my first incubator! Have it running to check the temps. What should the temp be? Also how do you make humidity? It's a little giant still air incubator with an egg turner in it. I don't have a manual with it, I bought it used, so if anyone can give me a step by step on how to use it and the temp/humidity levels that would be awesome! I plan to set the eggs saturday so I am home if and when they hatch.
LGs are pretty hard to hatch silkie eggs. You need a good thermometer and hygrometer. The ones with the LG do not work. What ever ones you purchase make sure they are accurate.
Test you incubator before you even get eggs. Make sure it holds temp. Place eggs in your bator in the turner(ones you are going to eat) Place the thermometer on top of the egg. Make sure it hold temp for 48 hours. Getting the temp to hold for 48 hours is the hard part. You need to look at the temp often until you are confident it is not going have spikes. You control spikes by controlling room condition. (no sun, no drafts, no heat or cold room spikes)
The LG has water wells to control humidity, but I do not use them I use sanitized sponges.
I have found silkie eggs like a little higher heat the first 48 hours. Less humidity than regular eggs.My first 48 hours I have it set at 101.5. I turn it down to 100.5 after. I use the temp at the top of the egg. I do not add water at all the first 48 hours. I .keep my humidity at 30% for the next 17 days. I check air cells before adding any water at day 18. Still air is so different than fan incubators. I have others but still use mine.

It is very interesting,

As I said on the other site, this is very bad, and if the seller is not willing to refund any of your money I say spread the word with these pictures! Especially since they said he had no DQs! also as I said, looks to have scaly leg mites or something bad going on. outer toe nail also looks upsidown. Do you have pics of him as a whole? How do they look health wise? Looks like he has bumblefoot also!

One thing I forgot to mention is that this particular group of birds, stinks to high heavens. I don't see any mucous or any other obvious problems but the smell troubles me a bit. We have been beefing up their immune system with mashed hard boiled eggs sprinkled with dry powder milk, ACV in the water weekly and Red Cell weekly. I'm off to spray them with Adams and then am heading to bed. Tomorrow they will get bathed and given a "once over".

Looks like silver partridge to me. Here is a picture of one of my silver partridge chicks:

Last edited:
One thing I forgot to mention is that this particular group of birds, stinks to high heavens. I don't see any mucous or any other obvious problems but the smell troubles me a bit. We have been beefing up their immune system with mashed hard boiled eggs sprinkled with dry powder milk, ACV in the water weekly and Red Cell weekly. I'm off to spray them with Adams and then am heading to bed. Tomorrow they will get bathed and given a "once over".
I hope the smell is just from maybe being kept in dirty quarters .. dont like "bad smells " :(

Water and vinegar? Never heard of it. He looks so good though!
Yes. Several people and websites seem to recommend doing the last wash with vinegar mixed in with water. Really made a difference in how the feathers feel! Literally feels squeaky clean.
lol.png
And no soap left either!

What you are smelling might be coccidiosis. It causes loose poops with blood sometimes. I'd put those birds on a round of Corid, and keep them well seperated from your other birds until they have been de-bugged , and wormed too.

Back
Top Bottom