Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I live in the White Mountains of AZ & is very new at the hobby. We're in the process of builing a coop & have decided on what breeds we want to raise. I am looking for good quality white silky/silkie pullet chicks (6). Does nyone know a breeder in AZ that has ny available?

I live in the White Mountains of AZ & is very new at the hobby. We're in the process of builing a coop & have decided on what breeds we want to raise. I am looking for good quality white silky/silkie pullet chicks (6). Does nyone know a breeder in AZ that has ny available?

I can't help you find the chicks, but welcome to the wonderful world of Silkies!.. and Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

You may find it hard to find any pullet chicks - because Silkies do not like to tell you what gender they are for a very long time. You may find some POL pullets. Just make sure they don't crow before you take them
wink.png

Betcha if you put a blob of red nail polish in the bottom of the pop bottle fount, she would stop that. Try it, and let me know.

Ok, after reading more I don't have a fount - I am just using a typical rodent-type water bottle that Sonoran mentioned - metal tube/ball bearing. So no place to put a drop of nail polish but boy am I curious to know the reasoning there.... I will go to the site Destiny mentioned and see what I can find that might work better. Thanks all;-)

Ok, after reading more I don't have a fount - I am just using a typical rodent-type water bottle that Sonoran mentioned - metal tube/ball bearing. So no place to put a drop of nail polish but boy am I curious to know the reasoning there.... I will go to the site Destiny mentioned and see what I can find that might work better. Thanks all;-)
Chickens will zero in on anything red, and peck at it.That blob of red gets their attention. Those nipples don't let birds rinse their beaks.The pop bottle waterers, only use the PLASTIC ones, do.

Chickens will zero in on anything red, and peck at it.That blob of red gets their attention. Those nipples don't let birds rinse their beaks.The pop bottle waterers, only use the PLASTIC ones, do.

Great to know, thank you. Although the nipples do a dandy job of soaking their crests...one of mine rubs her head all over it to soak her crest.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom