Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Quote:
Hello and welcome to the thread! I see you are starting at the beginning, very good Idea. I did the same thing, and learned a LOT from reading it. Suggestion: Open a notepad and cut and paste any time you find really good information. That way you can always go look at it and won't have to search the whole thread.

White Silkies are the easiest color to maintain, the genetics are such that if crossed together they will always give you white birds. If you cross to another color - all bets are off. There are several suggestions for keeping white Silkies white, I believe you don't want to feed corn is one I recall...

Hello and welcome to the thread! I see you are starting at the beginning, very good Idea. I did the same thing, and learned a LOT from reading it. Suggestion: Open a notepad and cut and paste any time you find really good information. That way you can always go look at it and won't have to search the whole thread.

White Silkies are the easiest color to maintain, the genetics are such that if crossed together they will always give you white birds. If you cross to another color - all bets are off. There are several suggestions for keeping white Silkies white, I believe you don't want to feed corn is one I recall...
Thank you so much. I am really excited about this. I really appreciate the idea of a notepad.

This is cock a doodle blue, my son's 5 month old cockerel. He's planning on showing him in his first show next month. What do you guys think?

I would like folks here to critique my seven month old cockerel. If he is up to standard, I would like to put him in a trio this Fall. I don't have pictures of his feet and toe spacing yet. Five on each foot. No missing toe nails or added or fused toes. His cushion is soft. No hard quills.

I trimmed his bum in anticipation of breeding him but haven't put him with the hens yet. Seven months old and he is still maturing.
He free ranges with the bachelors and is a gentle soul with people but he is top cockerel in the flock. Is he breeding material?

Last edited:
I would like folks here to critique my seven month old cockerel. If he is up to standard, I would like to put him in a trio this Fall. I don't have pictures of his feet and toe spacing yet. Five on each foot. No missing toe nails or added or fused toes. His cushion is soft. No hard quills. I trimmed his bum in anticipation of breeding him but haven't put him with the hens yet. Seven months old and he is still maturing. He free ranges with the bachelors and is a gentle soul with people but he is top cockerel in the flock. Is he breeding material?
He's got some more growing to do since silkies mature so late.

Back
Top Bottom