Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

First time Silkie owner here! I have a black bearded pair that is six months old. I'm curious as to what quality you would say they are. I'm looking for honest answers, feelings aside. I feel the hen is the better quality of the two. Her head fluff is nice, in my opinion, and her earlobes are very blue.The male's ear lobes are very washed out, and I feel like his comb is too large. Both of them are lacking in tail fluff. Am I correct? Are there any flaws or good points that I missed?

First time Silkie owner here! I have a black bearded pair that is six months old. I'm curious as to what quality you would say they are. I'm looking for honest answers, feelings aside. I feel the hen is the better quality of the two. Her head fluff is nice, in my opinion, and her earlobes are very blue.The male's ear lobes are very washed out, and I feel like his comb is too large. Both of them are lacking in tail fluff. Am I correct? Are there any flaws or good points that I missed?

I do not show my birds, but I have read through this whole thread and several others to try and get a good grasp of what makes a "Show Quality" Silkie. Personally I think you nailed it with your observations. I am also seeing either sunburn or gold leakage on the black male - and his wattles should be "minimal" and look too large also. His ears look white? His wings look odd to me too - dropped even more than I am used to - check for split wing, curled wing or gaps in the center. Personally I would not use him, unless you had no choice. I would replace him with the first son that looses those flaws.

The female looks to be good breeding stock if you can get a male with more tail poof and/or a lower stance. Her stance looks a bit high - but its really hard to get relaxed pictures when you are following them around with a camera. She may also drop lower as she grows older - she is still young. Great foot feathering on them both though...

Thank you for the feedback! I don't plan on showing, but I'd like to improve the quality of my flock as time goes on. I didn't know the wattles on males were supposed to be minimal. That's good to know. I have five hatchery stock that are about a month and a half old. Do you think I should wait and see if any of the males are better choices, or go ahead and breed? Compared to these two at the same age, they are going to be much fuller and have more fluff. Also, how did you notice the feather discoloration? Is it in a certain area, or is it just his general coloring? I'd like to be able to notice this in the future.

I agree on the female's stance. There is one photo where she is a little lower, and that's how she normally carries herself. What sort of underline should I be aiming for when viewing them from the side? I'm thinking maybe as circular as possible?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I will be receiving two or three Silkie roosters of the same age as my pair on Saturday. I have no clue what they look like, but I'll post photos here as soon as I get them. Hopefully, they'll be better prospects than the current male, and I won't have to wait for my month olds to age. :)

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback! I don't plan on showing, but I'd like to improve the quality of my flock as time goes on. I didn't know the wattles on males were supposed to be minimal. That's good to know. I have five hatchery stock that are about a month and a half old. Do you think I should wait and see if any of the males are better choices, or go ahead and breed? Compared to these two at the same age, they are going to be much fuller and have more fluff. Also, how did you notice the feather discoloration? Is it in a certain area, or is it just his general coloring? I'd like to be able to notice this in the future.

I agree on the female's stance. There is one photo where she is a little lower, and that's how she normally carries herself. What sort of underline should I be aiming for when viewing them from the side? I'm thinking maybe as circular as possible?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I will be receiving two or three Silkie roosters of the same age as my pair on Saturday. I have no clue what they look like, but I'll post photos here as soon as I get them. Hopefully, they'll be better prospects than the current male, and I won't have to wait for my month olds to age.
smile.png

Some hatchery stock is really good looking, I think they get eggs from breeders who do care at least a bit about looks. I would wait and see what you have growing up, your little girl won't be too old to breed for next spring
wink.png

The feather discoloration is around his neck - which is where leakage would show up if present. The hackle and saddle feathers should be solid black, his look lighter and I think I see a gold color coming through.

The proper stance for a well balance silkie is an S shape with a round ball on the back. Low in front - body parallel to the ground with the neck and tail balancing themselves. Not really "circular".
Here is one of mine that I think carries the proper "shape".

Her head is tucked down further than usual, and she is about 5 months old so the tail isn't quite as fluffy. But I think it shows the young shape pretty well... She is what I call a Smutty Buff, and I am heading towards Partridge.

Her mom and dad.

Both beardless.

Anyone have any opinions or comment on this big guy? I just got him from my friend, she gave him to me because my rooster Jack Frost was taken by something =( He is from Kate Morrealle, she has some of the best birds i've seen here in New England.

I have a partridge silkie rooster and a white Silkie and I have a female not

yet sure what she is but she is part silkie. I dont have any pictures of the partridge silkie but i do of the gray female Isabow, and of my white silkie rooster named snowball. as you can see Isabow raised some Silver laced, but as they grew Isabow had her very own little white fluff ball and the silvers where about 3 months and

pecked him to death, which I learned i will put Isabow some where safer, if she does raise another of her own. the Silver laced are good birds, but were raised by my Silkie Isabow. she hatched 7 of the silver laced eggs, and i thought i had 5 females and 2 Rooster's well i got it back wards, I had 5 Roosters, and 2 females.. great!! lol. i have the 2 silkie Rooster's and they are great about keeping all the silkies and silvers together.. they are awesome.. very gentle... Silver' laced, in my opinion, are aggressive to other birds, something I learned if they are not raised with other birds, they will kick the crap out of other birds, tried it with some rode island reds, and I had to give them away, I had 3 female silver's and one Rooster, and then got the rode island reds it was 5 hens, would not work. and as well as with the Silkies, they are aggressive to them, and they were raised by the silkies.. it's really a big learning experience. now the partridge silkie I got later and he was of age when I got him, and everything is good slowly introduced him to the family and they are great, all together.both the silkie rooster's keep all the silver laced rooster's and hens in line.. and Isabow my gray silkie she kinda does her own thing they all sleep in the same pen.. like i said it's all about learning.

Anyone have any opinions or comment on this big guy? I just got him from my friend, she gave him to me because my rooster Jack Frost was taken by something =( He is from Kate Morrealle, she has some of the best birds i've seen here in New England.

How old? He looks like a nice breeder, I would personally like to see more chest, and lower there too. If he is young that may improve. I see a lot of boys who are too "tall" for my taste. But nice shape otherwise. Looks like a nice comb too! He looks dark for a blue, but not black correct?

Back
Top Bottom