Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Hey winterwolfbane,
I think my next purchase will have to be David's book genetics of chicken colors. I knew he did the chicken calculator but since googling him have found his other works. Still looking through all the links. It's nice to have something you can hold in your hands and reference though. Thanks again.

Hey winterwolfbane,
I think my next purchase will have to be David's book genetics of chicken colors. I knew he did the chicken calculator but since googling him have found his other works. Still looking through all the links. It's nice to have something you can hold in your hands and reference though. Thanks again.
I have a copy. They tried to write it like a cook book, so it's easier to understand. And in the back they give a alphabetical list of the color types. With photos of actual chickens in those colors. To show what they look like and what the correct names for those colors should be. There's a lot of great books out there. I probably have most of them (46 last count, LOL!)

However, my other absolute pick of the day is the Chicken Health Handbook. By Gail Damerow. It doesn't tell you genetics, but everything else. Best diagnostic book I have found if my birds come down with something. But has diet and a lot other advice too.

I have a copy. They tried to write it like a cook book, so it's easier to understand. And in the back they give a alphabetical list of the color types. With photos of actual chickens in those colors. To show what they look like and what the correct names for those colors should be. There's a lot of great books out there. I probably have most of them (46 last count, LOL!)

However, my other absolute pick of the day is the Chicken Health Handbook. By Gail Damerow. It doesn't tell you genetics, but everything else. Best diagnostic book I have found if my birds come down with something. But has diet and a lot other advice too.

Has this thread become an advertisement for a book your "close friend" contributed to (did not seem to be the main author)? If you only have 46 books, you don't have most of them.

If that is your pick, then you don't have high expectations. I am not much of a fan of her writing. Makes me wonder what you consider a great poultry book.

I have a copy.  They tried to write it like a cook book, so it's easier to understand.  And in the back they give a alphabetical list of the color types. With photos of actual chickens in those colors.   To show what they look like and what the correct names for those colors should be.   There's a lot of great books out there.  I probably have most of them (46 last count, LOL!)

However, my other absolute pick of the day is the Chicken Health Handbook.  By Gail Damerow.  It doesn't tell you genetics, but everything else.  Best diagnostic book I have found if my birds come down with something.   But has diet and a lot other advice too.

I was wrong, it was a sneak peak on that web site. What I read I really liked though. I'm having trouble finding a copy. There was a site where you could order some but not to the u.s. I'll have to get the health book too. Just had a friends 6 week old road island white chick all the sudden have his lower legs go to the sides, upper legs the muscles are atrophied and the knee joints look swollen. I sent her to get vitamins and we are going to do another round of antibiotics on all her chicks but that so weird. He is the biggest of all the chicks.

I don't remember where I got my copy. It's been a long time since I got it. I can look around if you can't come up with something?

I don't remember where I got my copy.  It's been a long time since I got it.  I can look around if you can't come up with something?
Thank you, I would appreciate it. I have found chats where people have been looking for them. I think it went out of print in the US but is still available over seas mostly from what I have found.

Contact [COLOR=000000]Jerry Schexnayder [/COLOR]and see if he still has some available. 

http://jerrysseramasllc.weebly.com/contact.html
Thank you, I just found his email. So excited. Hope he has some. Thanks again.
1f601.png

please can someone tell me what to expect if i breed these two will the chicks be bearded or non bearded what colour will they be and will they be classed as purebred ( sorry im new to this so please bare with me!!)

Sorry, don't want to leave a newbie without an answer. Lets see, If he's recessive white, babies will be like mom in appearance and carry the recessive white. Which can come out later if back bred to him or if breeding siblings. Or another bird that carries it, that isn't recessive white. If he is dominate white, then babies will mostly look like him. Could get other colors depends on what's under the dominate white.
Bearding is hit or miss here. If they're not mixed with something, they're silkies. Don't stress it. There are people here to help.
smile.png

Some Silkie books you might want to look up since the rest of the thread is talking about it, and might help some other people too. Is "Silkie Chickens" by Harry Goldcroft. It has a lot of really good information. There's another one I have, got this one from the UK actually. It's "Silkies: The Owner's Manual" by Roland Ruthersdale. It's got some good stuff in about breeding, egg care and incubation and over all welfare of Silkies. Then one I have that is also from www.chickencolours.com (same place I got Genetics of Chicken Colors. In other posts is information for the contact person here in the US.) Is "Silkie and Silkie Bantams", great book, but expensive. Think it's the most comprehensive one I've found to date. Great photos. And lots and lots of them. There are others, but these are the three I liked. Personally I would like to get my information from books or DVD's from professionals, then maybe get it wrong listening to the wrong persons.

Back
Top Bottom