Silkie breeding question?

Feather Down Silkies

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2021
I am planning on breeding my flock of Silkies in the spring. I have some pretty girls and a nice rooster. The rooster unfortunately has a straight comb. I know that I could just get a new roo, but I am quite attached to this bird. Does anyone know how often this trait would pass? I’d also like to know if you can tell what kind of comb a bird will have when it’s a chick, so I could just price those chicks less. Any info helps, thank you!

Attachments

• C8666C8B-E068-4E69-AD45-1AF36D594203.jpeg
    C8666C8B-E068-4E69-AD45-1AF36D594203.jpeg
    577.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 01810819-EA76-4903-AC5E-10636001A851.jpeg
    01810819-EA76-4903-AC5E-10636001A851.jpeg
    631.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 5D2DCF97-7093-4949-B7F5-DBA2A0EB7853.jpeg
    5D2DCF97-7093-4949-B7F5-DBA2A0EB7853.jpeg
    808.2 KB · Views: 4
  • BD5BD049-E7D9-4E00-B9B0-A32523CE4E6B.jpeg
    BD5BD049-E7D9-4E00-B9B0-A32523CE4E6B.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 4

Linda1218

Songster
Oct 7, 2019
I am planning on breeding my flock of Silkies in the spring. I have some pretty girls and a nice rooster. The rooster unfortunately has a straight comb. I know that I could just get a new roo, but I am quite attached to this bird. Does anyone know how often this trait would pass? I’d also like to know if you can tell what kind of comb a bird will have when it’s a chick, so I could just price those chicks less. Any info helps, thank you!
Idk about genetic and how they pass one but your silkies are so cute !!! Usually I would sell my chick between 7 to 10 each

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
If a paint roo cross a partridge hen silkie . What would the chick look like ?
They will likely almost all look like paints due to the dominant white of the rooster. I literally just hatched a bunch of silkies with a paint rooster over a partridge hen. She is though not complete partridge and I believe also carries black. I was expecting some of the chicks to be black. Despite this all the chicks have been paint so far. Will have to wait and see what they look like when they feather in. I expect some leakage when they get older, especially in the males.😊
FEDD758C-9A67-4EAA-85C1-8E7F3957469E.jpeg

Parents:
1E355EE6-B7EF-4DD2-BBE3-6E6CD5CD5F99.jpeg
7467BAA1-05F9-4D0F-8552-230ACF4D9CFA.jpeg

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
The single comb is recessive. I have had single combs pop up even from reputable breeders.
If your hens all have the correct walnut comb and DO NOT carry the recessive gene for the single comb, then ALL the chicks will express the walnut comb and carry the gene for the single comb.

If the hens DO carry the gene for the single comb, then about 50% of the chicks will have the single comb. The other 50% will have the walnut comb, but be carriers of the single comb gene. Buyers of your chicks should be informed that the chicks from your rooster carry the gene even if they do not show it.
He is a beautiful boy. 😍

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:

Linda1218

Songster
Oct 7, 2019
They will likely almost all look like paints due to the dominant white of the rooster. I literally just hatched a bunch of silkies with a paint rooster over a partridge hen. She is though not complete partridge and I believe also carries black. I was expecting some of the chicks to be black. Despite this all the chicks have been paint so far. Will have to wait and see what they look like when they feather in. I expect some leakage when they get older, especially in the males.😊 View attachment 2868908
Parents:
View attachment 2868911 View attachment 2868910
They will likely almost all look like paints due to the dominant white of the rooster. I literally just hatched a bunch of silkies with a paint rooster over a partridge hen. She is though not complete partridge and I believe also carries black. I was expecting some of the chicks to be black. Despite this all the chicks have been paint so far. Will have to wait and see what they look like when they feather in. I expect some leakage when they get older, especially in the males.😊 View attachment 2868908
Parents:
View attachment 2868911 View attachment 2868910

Wooow … ur Silkie are so cute too !!! N yay I can’t wait to hatch mine now I put some in the incubator to see how they would turn out . And one question, is there any book out there you no that is about Silkie genetics? I really want to learn more how colors and pattern get pass on etc while breeding .

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
Wooow … ur Silkie are so cute too !!! N yay I can’t wait to hatch mine now I put some in the incubator to see how they would turn out . And one question, is there any book out there you no that is about Silkie genetics? I really want to learn more how colors and pattern get pass on etc while breeding .
Thanks!😊
Please post photos of your chicks when they hatch!
I honestly learned most of what I know by reading the genetics threads here on BYC.
The chicken color calculator can be helpful, but takes a bit of time to understand how to use it.
Understanding how to use a Punnett square also helps in figuring out recessive genes.
If you did not learn about genetics in school, I would recommend basic genetics to start with to understand how traits are passed down.
Unless your birds are pure for color, then it can be very hard to predict what chicks will look like. Can be almost impossible to know what recessive traits they may carry.
Many silkie breeders keep their silkies in separate color pens for this reason, so they can be sure what colors the chicks will be.
https://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm

There are several BYC members that are better versed in genetics than I.😊

Feather Down Silkies

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2021
The single comb is recessive. I have had single combs pop up even from reputable breeders.
If your hens all have the correct walnut comb and DO NOT carry the recessive gene for the single comb, then ALL the chicks will express the walnut comb and carry the gene for the single comb.

If the hens DO carry the gene for the single comb, then about 50% of the chicks will have the single comb. The other 50% will have the walnut comb, but be carriers of the single comb gene. Buyers of your chicks should be informed that the chicks from your rooster carry the gene even if they do not show it.
He is a beautiful boy. 😍

Edited for spelling.
Thank you!

Top Bottom