Silkie Breeding Questions

Pics

Egg Snatcher

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 11, 2020
SW Missouri
I have some queshitions on genetict coloring. But first I need to know if my pure silkie really is blue. I was told he was blue but he is black and he has proven to have black genes, he has had 50/50 blue and black babies. So I read some were on her not to breed a black silkie to a white is that true? What color do they make? Should it be ok to breed my blue frizzle w 4 toes to him? I can get a pic of the baby I have here now if enyone needs that too.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    509.5 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    486.3 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    471.9 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    508.8 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    634.6 KB · Views: 10
I find dark blue and black really hard to tell apart visually. However, a blue is a black with 1 blue gene (2 blue genes and you have a splash, so all blues carry black). So if he is blue and you put him with a black hen you will have 50/50 blue and black chicks. If he's black with a black hen you should have all black chicks.

I think the main issue with breeding white to black is that you often end up with mixed non standard colours and leakage.

Your blue frizzle to a blue rooster (as they both carry 1 blue gene) should give you 25% Splash 25% Black and 50% Blue chicks, half of all these chicks would be frizzled nd they would most likely have 5 toes. No worries breeding them together if you're trying to add frizzle genes in.

I find dark blue and black really hard to tell apart visually. However, a blue is a black with 1 blue gene (2 blue genes and you have a splash, so all blues carry black). So if he is blue and you put him with a black hen you will have 50/50 blue and black chicks. If he's black with a black hen you should have all black chicks.

I think the main issue with breeding white to black is that you often end up with mixed non standard colours and leakage.

Your blue frizzle to a blue rooster (as they both carry 1 blue gene) should give you 25% Splash 25% Black and 50% Blue chicks, half of all these chicks would be frizzled nd they would most likely have 5 toes. No worries breeding them together if you're trying to add frizzle genes in.
Thanks you! This is some good info! I appreciate it.

The rooster has some golden leakage on his neck, does the that make he's not pure?

The rooster has some golden leakage on his neck, does the that make he's not pure?
He is not pure for the blue color, but considering that he has Silkie feathers, he is not a crossbreed.
Another outcome of the white and blue cross might be blue paint and black paint if the white is dominant white.

Yes, though depending on other qualities low level shows may place a well shaped bird whos only fault is non standard colour.
Ok thanks. I have a pure white hen, and a blue frizzle with 4 toes, and the roosters daughter. If you buy chicks from Atwoods or any feed store are those chicks pure and pure color? One one question:oops:sorry for all the questions. Example: Pure Silver Duckwing OEGB x Pure Mille Fleur , then you get a cross, how would you make these babies pure?

Back
Top Bottom