Silkie can’t get into Eglu Cube

Kmarkello

In the Brooder
May 20, 2021
I just got new babies and all but the Batam Silkie made it into the coop- which is an Eglu Cube. Poor little baby can’t fly up like the rest and she couldn’t figure out how to walk up the ladder. The ladder is has wire mesh on top. She was in a panic. We have had to put her up there every night. I also had to take her out this morning. She wouldn’t come down on her own. Does anyone know what to do? It’s a very low run and I can’t crawl in there every night to put her in. My kid had to do it and he is only here part of the time. The breeder did not mention anything about needing a low coop. Her wings are like strings- no real feathers.

Attachments

• 333046FE-D9F6-4AA4-B4A8-EBE462436F2B.jpeg
    333046FE-D9F6-4AA4-B4A8-EBE462436F2B.jpeg
    671.3 KB · Views: 123
Put her on each step (not letting go) to almost simulate her walking up the stairs when you put her to bed every night. There shouldn’t be mesh on it, it should be with each step open. Some of my Silkies learned fast whilst others took a week or two to get the hang of it.

Just checking this is the kind of ladder/stairs you have on your Eglu:
0553DECA-32DA-4F96-8D0E-0D07148CB077.jpeg

Put her on each step (not letting go) to almost simulate her walking up the stairs when you put her to bed every night. There shouldn’t be mesh on it, it should be with each step open. Some of my Silkies learned fast whilst others took a week or two to get the hang of it.

Just checking this is the kind of ladder/stairs you have on your Eglu:
View attachment 2761572
I have mesh on it because I had smallish chicks in it and they were too small to reach the steps. The other pullets did great and there are some very small ones that can’t reach the steps (tiny frizzle, bantam Cochin, tiny polish) that still need it. We have been walking her up it and she can do it sort of- but then she gets to the top and freezes because of the floor in the coop. We have been practicing and showing her how to do it. This morning she stayed in the coop for at least an hour after everyone else left and I had to remove her. I think it’s because she couldn’t walk across the floor.

Attachments

• C361E880-5B90-4C6E-8306-F32B7BD2C727.jpeg
    C361E880-5B90-4C6E-8306-F32B7BD2C727.jpeg
    803 KB · Views: 53
I wonder if it is the ladder. Why does it have mesh in the top?
The ladder has mesh on top so they can grip it because it has open steps and the smaller birds can’t climb it.

Attachments

• 680BA302-09C2-42EF-BCA8-9151720C24B1.jpeg
    680BA302-09C2-42EF-BCA8-9151720C24B1.jpeg
    803 KB · Views: 48
I have mesh on it because I had smallish chicks in it and they were too small to reach the steps. The other pullets did great and there are some very small ones that can’t reach the steps (tiny frizzle, bantam Cochin, tiny polish) that still need it. We have been walking her up it and she can do it sort of- but then she gets to the top and freezes because of the floor in the coop. We have been practicing and showing her how to do it. This morning she stayed in the coop for at least an hour after everyone else left and I had to remove her. I think it’s because she couldn’t walk across the floor.
How do yours do with the roosting bars since their feet are different?

If she is making it up most of the way I’d just keep doing what your doing until she learns how to. The only thing I would say is once you don’t have little chicks take of the mesh since it looks like it causing a fairly steep walk up to the coop.

Omlet has these steps that clip onto each step of the omlet ladder it looks like a fake piece of wood they sell them in a 6pk think they are 5.99 makes its easier for them to make it up the ladder maybe that would help

Back
Top Bottom