Silkie Can't see because of feathers!

LilJoe

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 15, 2016
Missouri
I have a silkie cock about 5 months old and he can't see because of the fluff around his eyes. Trimmed it a little but the feathers grew back even thicker! The poor thing misses my hand when I'm hand feeding him but instead pecks the air pecks the air and he also runs into things!

Last edited:
Get some hair ties. Comb through crest to get all dirt etc out and tie a band through not too tight. And every few days make sure its not too tight and not hurting him.

Get someone to hold him for you. Once he has it on he'll be thankful, a few of mine with really big fluff are used to getting hair ties and almost seem happy to have it done.

So someone will have to hold his head still? Because his still besides his head,also, when I tried combing everything else there was a lot of dandruff, lice eggs maybe?

Well he doesn't really take dust baths for some reason, only if we put him on a soft spot in the garden.

Silkies tend to have a lot of new feathers coming in through the head which causes flakes of casings, hence combing helps remove those. What you're seeing could be head lice or dead feather particles. Heres a pic of one rooster who has new feathers coming through.

It might be that he has a few of those coming in. They scared me at first because I didn't think they would be there when I was searching through his fuzzy little head. Do the roosters only get those or do hens do 2

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom