Silkie Chick Advice Needed

Newbiemum

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Macedonia, Ohio
My very first chicks! They are 4week old Silkies, and I picked them up just yesterday. 2 Buff. 2Grey. 1White. 1Black I've done TONS of research before picking the breed, but still have some questions. Thought some fellow chick owners with experience could help : ) Any advice is greatly appreciated!
1)ONE chick towers over ALL the others, hes massive & somewhat a bully. Lol Does this mean he's a rooster?
2)They are very scared of us, ..which I guess is naturally for babies? More I handle them, more tame they become? 2 Out of 6 seem to like the attention. The others not so much.
3)Some have very puffy hair on their heads, does this mean they will be the'fluffier/Fuller' ones? I read you can't see their show quality until 6months of age, is this true? What are 'show quality' birds considered? I attached some pics if you could tell me your thoughts.
4)My chicks are fiesty and fighting! Some more then others, especially that white one! WOW. Is this normal?
[/IMG]

Your white one has a cockerel attitude for sure! Silkies are very difficult to tell the gender sometimes though so of course this is just a guess- it is fun to guess!

1) From my experience the boys can act like that from an early age...so it is possible he is a cockerel.

2) Yes chicks are skittish, and they should become friendlier when they start laying. But you can keep trying to make friends with them by offering treats as time goes by. I don't worry so much about treats when they are very young though.

3) I am not sure on this one.

4) Yes they do spar and chest bump. They are establishing the pecking order.

Enjoy your silkies!

images

Welcome to BYC!

ChickensAreSweet X2 The height of a chick doesn't always mean roo, but the aggressiveness of a certain bird can. Handle your chicks often. This will help to tame them up. By the time you get them out into the coop, they will be much warmer toward you. And yes chest bumping is their way of organizing the pecking order.

Enjoy your new babies! They are adorable! You might want to stop by our learning center for lots of great articles on all the aspects on keeping poultry...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

Thanks for your advice + warm welcoming! I will definitely visit the learning center. Very thankful to have found this site. Everyones wonderful! Very friendly + helpful. Thanks again!

There are several dedicated silkie threads on BYC, any of them should be able to give you good information regarding the breed. You really cannot sex silkies till 4-5 mos.old or when they either lay an egg or crow.

Feet are very important for show -you want five, well spaced toes - feathered. Skin should be black,
combs should be dark etc. Search for the silkie SOP standard of perfection for a more detailed accessment.

Back
Top Bottom