Silkie chick colors

Czugi

Songster
May 15, 2021
Hello!!! I’ve not been able to find a comparison of freshly hatched silkies to adults as far as coloring goes. This is my first batch of incubator chicks and I have zero idea what colors some of them may turn out to be. Some are pretty obvious even for me 🤣 If anyone would like to weigh in on the adult coloration that would be awesome! (Side note…the yellowish paint chick - is that tiiiiiny black spot on its back all the ‘paint’ it will have?) 00347830-C5C7-45CE-8ECC-B782D4510509.jpeg E1F90F1B-F2AA-40FD-BEF3-49ED80399896.jpeg 11369162-8AC6-4C74-8F3F-35C26BB1A063.jpeg

Hello!!! I’ve not been able to find a comparison of freshly hatched silkies to adults as far as coloring goes. This is my first batch of incubator chicks and I have zero idea what colors some of them may turn out to be. Some are pretty obvious even for me 🤣 If anyone would like to weigh in on the adult coloration that would be awesome! (Side note…the yellowish paint chick - is that tiiiiiny black spot on its back all the ‘paint’ it will have?)View attachment 2837485View attachment 2837488View attachment 2837489
Omg those little things are just to cute and puffy!!!!🥺❤️❤️❤️ I don't really know about colors, but @LadiesAndJane, @ForTheLoveOfSilkies, might have some ideas.

The chipmunks will probably be partridge. Chipmunk chicks are good for making early guesses on gender btw, girls tend to have thicker eyeliner than the boys, who have lighter heads and very little to no eyeliner. Use it as a +1 towards boy girl in you overall assessment. It was a very accurate indicator when I hatched Dorkings, which also have chipmunk chicks

Hello!!! I’ve not been able to find a comparison of freshly hatched silkies to adults as far as coloring goes. This is my first batch of incubator chicks and I have zero idea what colors some of them may turn out to be. Some are pretty obvious even for me 🤣 If anyone would like to weigh in on the adult coloration that would be awesome! (Side note…the yellowish paint chick - is that tiiiiiny black spot on its back all the ‘paint’ it will have?)View attachment 2837485View attachment 2837488View attachment 2837489
Chicks in first photo labeled “R” are partridge, the two on the right hand side appear to be silver Partridge but may end up more of a muddled black Partridge like I have. She is though beautiful in her own way!
Partridge Chicks can end up quite different as adults you will have to wait and see.
Second two from the paint eggs, paint breeding, depending on the color of the parents, will normally give 50% paint, 25% white and 25% black chicks. The white will be dominant white. Your little white one will likely develop more spots over time, it is hard to tell now.
Your frizzle chicks looks like you have two blue and one black, hard to tell if they’re frizzled until feathers start to come in. Frizzles are normally bred to a regular silkied parent so that half the chicks will be frizzled and a half will be regular.😊
Beautiful chicks!🥰

Aww what beautiful babies! 🥰

I agree with @LadiesAndJane's excellent explanation about possible colors. :)

My paint babies usually do get more and more spots as they get their feathers in. In my line my best spotted paints typically had more prominent spots at hatch but I've heard from many paint breeders that they've had some chicks with small or even no spots later become prominently marked so you never know. 😁

The chipmunks will probably be partridge. Chipmunk chicks are good for making early guesses on gender btw, girls tend to have thicker eyeliner than the boys, who have lighter heads and very little to no eyeliner. Use it as a +1 towards boy girl in you overall assessment. It was a very accurate indicator when I hatched Dorkings, which also have chipmunk chicks
Thank you! I’m guessing one girl and two boys then by that method. Only this one has any eye markings at all.

Attachments

• FFC365AA-7B2C-402A-B622-23364CEEBF95.jpeg
    FFC365AA-7B2C-402A-B622-23364CEEBF95.jpeg
    362.2 KB · Views: 16
Aww what beautiful babies! 🥰

I agree with @LadiesAndJane's excellent explanation about possible colors. :)

My paint babies usually do get more and more spots as they get their feathers in. In my line my best spotted paints typically had more prominent spots at hatch but I've heard from many paint breeders that they've had some chicks with small or even no spots later become prominently marked so you never know. 😁
That gives me hope! I was so disappointed when s/he hatched. can’t wait to see what the final coloration will be.

Chicks in first photo labeled “R” are partridge, the two on the right hand side appear to be silver Partridge but may end up more of a muddled black Partridge like I have. She is though beautiful in her own way!
Partridge Chicks can end up quite different as adults you will have to wait and see.
Second two from the paint eggs, paint breeding, depending on the color of the parents, will normally give 50% paint, 25% white and 25% black chicks. The white will be dominant white. Your little white one will likely develop more spots over time, it is hard to tell now.
Your frizzle chicks looks like you have two blue and one black, hard to tell if they’re frizzled until feathers start to come in. Frizzles are normally bred to a regular silkied parent so that half the chicks will be frizzled and a half will be regular.😊
Beautiful chicks!🥰
Agh…I can’t wait to see if they will be or not! So excited 😆

I have some updated photos! Still super stumped by the ‘R’ chicks aka partridge. Here they are at three weeks old, still in the same order. That #3 is throwing me off with the cream feathers coming in.

Attachments

• 70020F50-D8F5-4D9F-BF31-64DE86723A38.jpeg
    70020F50-D8F5-4D9F-BF31-64DE86723A38.jpeg
    440.8 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom