Silkie Chick Colours - Help!

Elliemae1984

Songster
Sep 9, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Hello! I’m brand new to the world of silkie chicks (just picked up four yesterday) and I’m hoping the forum can help me with determining their colours. I’ve done research online so I have my guesses but as a total newbie I’d love your opinions! The breeder said the chicks are between 9-11 days.

Chick 1 - I’m thinking this one is a partridge
4B76535B-64F3-43DD-84C4-9BD4A1B9529E.jpeg

Chick 2 - I think this could be a white (she’s a bit more yellow in person)
26D10FFF-CB72-4C3B-9B78-4A296B9E93B5.jpeg

Chick 3 - would this be a grey or blue?
4D373D41-5F1C-4EEA-9BFE-04D5EE0831FD.jpeg

Chick 4 - my “best” guess would be lavender…
7EFA146E-34A0-4502-BAF5-EDB971E1AF2F.jpeg

Thank you in advance for the help!

Hello! I’m brand new to the world of silkie chicks (just picked up four yesterday) and I’m hoping the forum can help me with determining their colours. I’ve done research online so I have my guesses but as a total newbie I’d love your opinions! The breeder said the chicks are between 9-11 days.

Chick 1 - I’m thinking this one is a partridge
View attachment 3253894

Chick 2 - I think this could be a white (she’s a bit more yellow in person)
View attachment 3253895

Chick 3 - would this be a grey or blue?
View attachment 3253896

Chick 4 - my “best” guess would be lavender…
View attachment 3253898

Thank you in advance for the help!
Where did you get these little cuties? Three out of four look to be mixed color. I.e. not pure for color, so you may have some surprises when they feather out.
Chipmunk colored chicks in Silkies are partridge or partridge mixed. They often feather out completely different than their chick down.
Agree the white one is likely white. The last one though is not lavender and it’s looking like a mixed color chick, probably blue based.
The third one you’re calling blue looks more like a silver partridge though difficult to tell at this age and is likely also mixed color.😊

Where did you get these little cuties? Three out of four look to be mixed color. I.e. not pure for color, so you may have some surprises when they feather out.
Chipmunk colored chicks in Silkies are partridge or partridge mixed. They often feather out completely different than their chick down.
Agree the white one is likely white. The last one though is not lavender and it’s looking like a mixed color chick, probably blue based.
The third one you’re calling blue looks more like a silver partridge though difficult to tell at this age and is likely also mixed color.😊
Thanks for your reply!

We just got them off a lady on kijiji, not from a proper hatchery or anything. To be honest, our old silkies were both white and we didn’t even realize there were other colours. So when I picked up these four I started trying to figure out what colours they come in. It’ll be really interesting to see how their feathers change as they grow up!

Thanks for your reply!

We just got them off a lady on kijiji, not from a proper hatchery or anything. To be honest, our old silkies were both white and we didn’t even realize there were other colours. So when I picked up these four I started trying to figure out what colours they come in. It’ll be really interesting to see how their feathers change as they grow up!
They will likely feather in quite beautiful. Please post update photos!

Oh wow! those silkies chicks look so cute💗 "4" definitely looks self-blue or lavender, and I'm pretty sure "1" is partridge, your chicks look adorable, please post update soon!! 🥰
The babies are about 5 weeks old now and are feathering in so different than I expected! I did learn that the parents were a partridge and a white, so they’re all showing some partridge “banding” (no idea if that’s the right term). I’m also convinced that 1, 2 & 3 are roos lol.

Top left: number 1
Top right: number 4
Bottom left: number 2
Bottom right: number 3
4FA5AE37-80D0-48F7-A0F6-8C1A6FCC5956.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom