Silkie chick crowing behaviour

Elliemae1984

Songster
Sep 9, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Well, one of my silkie chicks is really living up to his name! Little “Loud Mouth” started crowing this morning at only 6.5 weeks old. He’s such an overachiever :lol:

I’m 90% certain that 2 of my remaining 3 are also roos. My question now is will Loud Mouth’s crowing encourage the others to crow early as well? Or will it make them stay silent longer (I’m assuming this makes him the alpha)? Or will it have absolutely no effect on them? Im trying to gauge how much I need to butter up the neighbours lol

I agree that there is a good chance your others most likely will be slow to follow suit crowing. Despite being the largest cockerel I have, Phoenix is the gentle giant of my flock and prefers to mind his own business. He is 4.5 months and I have only heard him crow a handful of times. Now the little guy in front, Jack is practically a Chihuahua who doesn't know his size. Jack has been crowing since he was around 6 weeks old very loud and proud. Jack has no problem sounding the crow alarm like a blaring siren and kicking Phoenix's butt if Jack sees Phoenix attempting to dance around the ladies. Phoenix's response is to just walk off by himself without protest not making a peep.
PXL_20221011_224939788.jpg

I agree that there is a good chance your others most likely will be slow to follow suit crowing. Despite being the largest cockerel I have, Phoenix is the gentle giant of my flock and prefers to mind his own business. He is 4.5 months and I have only heard him crow a handful of times. Now the little guy in front, Jack is practically a Chihuahua who doesn't know his size. Jack has been crowing since he was around 6 weeks old very loud and proud. Jack has no problem sounding the crow alarm like a blaring siren and kicking Phoenix's butt if Jack sees Phoenix attempting to dance around the ladies. Phoenix's response is to just walk off by himself without protest not making a peep.
View attachment 3289920
Thank you guys!! Good to know they will be slower to develop. I’ll be happy if they can fly under the radar so I can keep them longer before rehoming (we can only keep one roo).

It’s also funny you say your big guy is you gentle giant - Loud Mouth is by far the biggest but also the sweetest of the 4 babies. Our smallest (what i assume will be) roo is the meanest by far lol.

View attachment 3289920
handsome fellows! do they have a bachelor pad?

Back
Top Bottom