Silkie chick head bobbing?

silkiechick236

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
Oklahoma
I have a silkie chick that's about 8 weeks old and every once in awhile I notice it's head "bobbing" like it can't control it. It only lasts maybe a minute then it's fine. Any suggestions on what it might be?

Thanks
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I know that this is an old thread, but I'm resurrecting it in hopes that someone has some new information about this head bobbing. I have one silkie that is 8 weeks old that does this, but I attributed it to her being very small (runt...don't like that word...poor thing) and she had a long, tough hatch. But now I am seeing it in one of my 2 week old silkies from a different breeder, uneventful hatch...and she just started it about a day ago. I'm totally baffled! They are all on Purina medicated starter feed, the older one is supplemented with hardboiled eggs, freeze dried mealie worms, and other veggies from the leftover pile. The youngest just had her first helping of scrambled eggs today (all are on grit). They both are super active, eat/drink great, just bobble their heads for about 10 seconds every minute or 3....
Any ideas????
Thank you all!

Better late than never, but I'm curious how your silkie chick turned out. Did she outgrow the condition? I have one who has the same issue, think its water on the brain from a head peck.

I have a Cochin waving her head around in a circle. She is 8 months old I hatched her off and have raised her. A few days ago I noticed her lifeless in the cold coop with a purple comb. I picked her up and she had drool coming from her beak. So I set up a cage inside the house was told she had pneumonia so I was given some antibiotics for her and have been giving them to her while she rests alone in the house. I have seen her do the head bobble twice in the past week and am wondering what people have concluded from it.
Send me a reply if anyone knows. Thanks
Bridgette

Back
Top Bottom