Silkie chick head twitching!?

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Silkie, approximately 3 weeks, appears the same weight and size as her sibling hatched the same day.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Seemingly constant head shaking/tilting, especially when sleepy. Seems like she can’t truly fall asleep, as when she finally starts to nod off, the twitching/jerking starts up again. Does still eat/drink/poop normally.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Started this morning (just brought home yesterday)

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

Not that I can tell.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

I did not witness anything that leads me to believe she was injured.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Dumor chick starter/grower and water

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Looks perfectly normal to me.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

No treatment yet, just observation.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Truly depends what it might be. I think it may possibly be early stages of wryneck or encephalomalacia, but I’m not sure. I don’t see any mites or other bugs, and the ears look like normal ears to me as well. I’d prefer to treat myself if possible but wouldn’t hesitate to bring her to a vet if needed!

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

Videos attached

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Currently shared housing with mixed breeds of the same age- sebrights, RIRs, and barred rocks. They are in a 29g long terrarium with heat lamp, kept at around 87F closest to the lamp, and 80F further away. Using untreated pine shavings mixed with some natural paper bedding. Will be moving to a large plastic tote in the next few days, and plan on switching to sand as well at that time.

Video #1, lots of the jerking movements

Video #2, having trouble falling asleep :(

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Silkie, approximately 3 weeks, appears the same weight and size as her sibling hatched the same day.

Seemingly constant head shaking/tilting, especially when sleepy. Seems like she can’t truly fall asleep, as when she finally starts to nod off, the twitching/jerking starts up again. Does still eat/drink/poop normally.

No

Not that I can tell.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Truly depends what it might be. I think it may possibly be early stages of wryneck or encephalomalacia, but I’m not sure. I don’t see any mites or other bugs, and the ears look like normal ears to me as well. I’d prefer to treat myself if possible but wouldn’t hesitate to bring her to a vet if needed!

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

Videos attached

Currently shared housing with mixed breeds of the same age- sebrights, RIRs, and barred rocks. They are in a 29g long terrarium with heat lamp, kept at around 87F closest to the lamp, and 80F further away. Using untreated pine shavings mixed with some natural paper bedding. Will be moving to a large plastic tote in the next few days, and plan on switching to sand as well at that time.

I have a silkie chick I got April 23 and it does this too!! No idea what it could be.

No

Not that I can tell.

Videos attached

This is the start of wry neck or a vitamin deficiency. I had a silkie that did the same thing and my roo with chronic wry neck does it as well. Vitamin E and a B complex will help. You can get both at Walmart or a drug store. The gel capsules of vitamin E work just fine. If you can get liquid though it might be easier to give on some food.

Back
Top Bottom