Silkie chick help

lexiredhead

Songster
9 Years
Sep 28, 2014
Hi! So I have two silkie chickens and they are both females. I do not want to buy a full grown rooster. Can I buy 3 chicks and put them with the two silkies? Will they raise them? And if one of the chicks did turn out to be male how can I raise him to be calm and friendly? Thank you so much!

Hi! So I have two silkie chickens and they are both females. I do not want to buy a full grown rooster. Can I buy 3 chicks and put them with the two silkies? Will they raise them? And if one of the chicks did turn out to be male how can I raise him to be calm and friendly? Thank you so much!
If you put a day or two old chicks with the grown silkies, they "Might" kill them, "Might" not. If they don't they most likely will not raise them----if by raising them you mean keeping them warm, looking for food for them etc---probably not. I would suggest you keep the chicks in a brooder till they get old enough to be placed in a pen. Then you could try adding them with the other silkies and see what happens. If your silkie goes broody, you could get some fertile eggs from someone and let the silkies hatch them out. As far as raising a "rooster" to be friendly----alot of them are----alot are not. Just spend alot of time with him and hope he does not turn. My silkie roosters are very friendly! Good Luck!!

Back
Top Bottom