Silkie chick not walking and weak for the past 5 days

anag

Chirping
11 Years
Mar 16, 2010
I have a Silkie chick that must be at least two weeks old. She was at least a week old when I got her at the farm stand. She and another chick in my group of 4 chicks had a bit of pasty butt that I remedied as soon as I saw it. The other chick is doing fine but the silkie took a turn for the worse and stopped walking. I moved her to a separate brooder - she is under a Brinsea Ecoglow. I have been offering her a mixture of cooked egg yolk mixed with water, a bit of nutridrench and pediatric electrolyte on a spoon every 1-2 hours roughly for the past 5 days. Today I mixed some nutritional yeast and ground up starter feed to the mix as well. She seems still weak but stable and eats when offered but wont really drink despite my offering water at every feeding. I am hoping there is enough liquid in my mash. The thing is despite 5 days of this I dont see any improvement in the strength of her legs. She uses her wings to push away from the food when she has had enough. She doesnt seem to react when I move her legs so I dont think she is in pain when I move them.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions on my treatments?

Last edited:
Still the same. Weak but stable. Eats a few bites every hour or so. She was walking when I first got her. She doesnt seem to want to use her legs at all. I have her and the rest of the chicks in my home office where I work so I am fortunate to be able to feed her but It would be a lot easier if she could get herself to food instead of having to feed her.

How is your little one doing in the meanwhile?
I don't know if your vitamins already include vitamin E, if not, perhaps it could be helpful to add some.

She is still at it fortunately. I have been mixing a tiny bit of nutridrench into the water that I then mix with her mash and egg yolk. There is vitamin E in that. Should I add a bit more?

She is still at it fortunately. I have been mixing a tiny bit of nutridrench into the water that I then mix with her mash and egg yolk. There is vitamin E in that. Should I add a bit more?
How much nutridrench are you giving her approximately?
You could try giving a Vitamin B complex next to the nutridrench. When I got my Silkie chicks I got a Vitamin B complex to be prepared in case, but till now, no one needed it. I would have given 1/4 of the content of one capsule per day with a bit food. For perhaps 5 days. Perhaps you want to try this for your little one.

Thank you so much. She seems to very very slowly be doing better. She still cant stand on her legs but I fell her pushing a bit with them. She is really tiny compared to her sibling chicks granted they are not silkies but I am hoping she will grow a bit faster. I am worried about when the time comes to integrate her back to the group (fingers crossed) that it will be problematic.

She wont drink which worries me that she is not getting enough liquids. I make sure to add a lot of liquid to her mash but does anyone know if that is enough?

Thank you so much. She seems to very very slowly be doing better. She still cant stand on her legs but I fell her pushing a bit with them. She is really tiny compared to her sibling chicks granted they are not silkies but I am hoping she will grow a bit faster. I am worried about when the time comes to integrate her back to the group (fingers crossed) that it will be problematic.

She wont drink which worries me that she is not getting enough liquids. I make sure to add a lot of liquid to her mash but does anyone know if that is enough?
I'm sorry I don't know if the liquids in very wet mash are sufficient. Is her poop normal? Or seems it to be kind of 'dry'?
I fully understand that you are worried about her reintegration, especially because she is so small and the other babies are different breeds. But perhaps with a very slow introduction and approach everything will work out without problems :hugs

Back
Top Bottom