Silkie Chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Fowlty Towers, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Fowlty Towers

Fowlty Towers Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    Space Coast, FL
    I am such a NEWBIE and have so MUCH to learn!! My son's class incubated and hatched a mixed clutch of eggs. We adopted "Bruno" (what a cutie!) who is almost 4 weeks old and was told it was a silkie. Is it? It seems like it might be mixed with something else when I compare with other pix of young silkies. Any help with an ID and sex (hopefully, it is a she) would be awesome...thanks!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChIck3n

ChIck3n Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Texas A&M
    Looks like a silkie to me. You can be fairly sure by looking at the feet. Most chickens have 4 toes, silkies have 5. It's been ages since I had a young silkie though, so I suppose might possibly be mixed with something else (just wait for a silkie breeder to come on here and confirm). As far as sex, silkies can be difficult to sex even when older, so I have no idea on that.

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Looks like a gray silkie, no idea on sex, like ChIk3n said, silkies are too hard to sex until they are much older.

4. Fowlty Towers

Fowlty Towers Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    Space Coast, FL
    Here's some updated pictures of our cute fluff ball at 3 months old. Do you think it is a gray silkie still? Still too hard to tell if a roo or hen? Thanks and Happy New Year!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    She is nice. I cant tell what gender but if you get a picture of her head sideways, we could see if there are stereamers coming out the back. I suspect female, but may be all wrong.

6. aduplantis

aduplantis Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    Looks girlie !! No expert. I have 3 silkies and I LOVE them. Enjoy her or him . I hope the gender is what you want. Good Luck !!

7. Old Fart

Old Fart Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    My vote from what I see is little girl !

8. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Definitely a gray silkie pullet.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I vote pullet.

10. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

Gray and it is a pullet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by