Silkies

SA gardener

Songster
May 23, 2020
Johannesburg, South Africa
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/4-week-old-silkies-gender.1544344/#post-26068856

The chicks in this thread both turned out female. The white one became lame and had to be put down (rooster, 4 weeks older than it, most likely tried mating with it and hurt it) . I am 100 percent sure it was female nonetheless because despite not getting an egg (as it had to be put down young). It was in every way resemblant of a female silky. I had males to compare it to Also 2 people in the thread agreed

The buff (caramel/black) one despite the somewhat advanced 4 week old comb development, ir turned out female. I saw plenty of signs it was female. I included a picture of it as currently is. Got my first egg on Tuesday. 7 months that is. Time flies, felt like yesterday I had to protect it from my cat and now I have to protect my cat from it, lol

My tips for sexing (to get females) are : go to the farm and inspect each chick individually. Choose the best 2 (females) that have the feminine traits people have outlined here on this forum out of 20. I picked 2 out of 16. It's mainly about comb development. No comb or tiny combs relative to the rest are your best bet. I strongly feel the ones I didnt pick were all males. In the silky world it seems that 50/50 ratio of males to females is not holding. I'd say it's probably 3 males to 1 female or less. I had to sell my silky roosters (not included in that thread) for a loss as they develop extremely fast compared to the hens and can break the hens legs and bones with their persistent mating attempts. So I sold them for R150 ($8). Spend probably R200 ($11) on them though . Sad to see them go but that had to
IMG-20230301-WA0004.jpg

Last edited:
In the silky world it seems that 50/50 ratio of males to females is not holding. I'd say it's probably 3 males to 1 female or less. I had to sell my silky roosters (not included in that thread) for a loss as they develop extremely fast compared to the hens and can break the hens legs a
I bred Silkies for a while.. and 50/50 was the average gender hatch rate for me. While I have been lucky and got set of only females and also had one batch hatch 80/20 males to females.

Consider your lame hen may have been showing symtoms of Marek's or sometuing else. Hopefully it was just an injury. Sorry for your loss. :hugs

The buff (caramel/black) one despite the somewhat advanced 4 week old comb development, ir turned out female. I saw plenty of signs it was female. I included a picture of it as currently is. Got my first egg on Tuesday. 7 months that is.
Congrats on your first egg! :celebrate

She's lovely. The technical term for her color pattern is Partridge.. looks kinda gray in the pic.. so maybe even blue partridge.

Some cockerels can develop quite fast.. I had one Silkie boy that started crowing at the age of 3 weeks.. though it was under the influence of my dogs howling also.

I bred Silkies for a while.. and 50/50 was the average gender hatch rate for me. While I have been lucky and got set of only females and also had one batch hatch 80/20 males to females.

Consider your lame hen may have been showing symtoms of Marek's or sometuing else. Hopefully it was just an injury. Sorry for your loss. :hugs

Congrats on your first egg! :celebrate

She's lovely. The technical term for her color pattern is Partridge.. looks kinda gray in the pic.. so maybe even blue partridge.

Some cockerels can develop quite fast.. I had one Silkie boy that started crowing at the age of 3 weeks.. though it was under the influence of my dogs howling also.
Yeah, the color is definitely not buff . Now that I've googled it, I see that buff is basically orange brown. When I google 'partridge silkie' I do see some that resemble mine. It's basically caramel colored feathers mixed with black/dark brown . I wouldnt say grey though. They may give that impression but it's because of the mix of the caramel and black/dark brown feathers. In the neck region she has exclusively caramel colored feathers

The egg weighed 40 grams. Blows my mind how a bantam breed has a very similar first egg size to my Hyline silver browns first. Their first eggs were an average of 44 grams. My suspicion is that maybe she (my silky) layed somewhere in my yard as I let her free roam because my Hylines in my chicken run are extremely aggressive towards her. But I have looked around and haven't seen any eggs. So unless I'm missing something then that 40 gram egg is her first egg. How big are your eggs ?

Back
Top Bottom