Silkie chicken sick

Fantastic! If it's wry neck aka crook neck there's no reason to put him down, the vitamins will work. I was told just don't breed with this bird because it's a genetic trait which makes them unable to absorb/process vitamins properly. Really happy for you, fingers crossed.

I was thinking this morning that I was almost ready to put Him down bc he didn't want any food or water and then a little bit ago he started walking around his crate so I told him outside and he is acting so much better, walking around and took a bite of food and nibbling at the grass. He still tucks his head some but much less so I will continue to baby him and give vitamins but hopefully he is on the mend! :)

That is great news. They sometimes eat better when they are in their usual surroundings and other flock members. Good luck and keep us posted on his recovery.

I am torn still on what is wrong, he can act perfectly fine for a little while then he drops his head and kindof sways it side to side under his chest and will often lay down at this point. He has squirty poop bc I literally hear it and it's stuck all over his fuzzy booty feathers. This morning I saw the first actually pile of poop and I don't know if it is normal or if you can tell anything from it.

They do the head drop thing you described with wry neck. It's been my experience it's a rush of excitement/adrenaline and then fatige/relaxation. Without seeing him it's really hard and a vet could tell younwhatbis wrong, or possibly wrong, i underrstand vet costs also though.

What vitamins are you giving and how often?

Vitamins and diet changes can definitely cause loose stools. You need to get his bottom clean. Soak his booty in a warm bath if its hardened on and gently as possible remove it, if it is still stuck soak him some more. I'm big on chicken butt baths, they don't mind usually and it can prevent a lot of problems. Giving him baby rice cereal (i add a little yogurt and apple sauce) can help with the loose stools.

I'd give him the poly vi sol without iron...
and let him rest.... they need rest for several days and sometimes longer...
rest and quiet.... with maybe a a buddy that is very docile....
Don't expect to much the first few days....
rest, warmth and maybe a buddy....
but make sure the buddy isn't the one that hurt him...

I just gave him a bath and got most of the nasty poop soaked off, I actually think he enjoyed the blow dryer.
I am giving him a few drops of polyvisol and vitamin e several times a day and he will take like 2 tiny sips most of the time.
I tried scrambled eggs and the raw egg mixture with yogurt and he wouldn't touch it.
He keeps spilling his food and water when he flips around so I can't tel much he is actually getting.
Here is a pic but as I said bc of his color you can't tell his head from his butt, his head is on the left side of the picture tucked completely under his body.

And a pic of him in the bath :)

I am going to try and get a video so you can see what he is doing

You're going to have to actually put the vitamins, food and water in him until he can do it on his own. I use a syringe with no needle. The hanging head in the bath pic is what wry neck looks like. I would seriously get selenium, 25 mg crushed tablet, and mix it with the vitamin e and polyvisol without iron and give it 2-3 times a day. It takes a couple days but the longer the chick goes without proper treatment or not getting enough nutrients the worse off he'll be. My vet leaned me a metal scope to get food a vitamins in easier for my last chicken emergency which I was so grateful for and will buy one to keep on hand for future use.

You're going to have to actually put the vitamins, food and water in him until he can do it on his own. I use a syringe with no needle. The hanging head in the bath pic is what wry neck looks like. I would seriously get selenium, 25 mg crushed tablet, and mix it with the vitamin e and polyvisol without iron and give it 2-3 times a day. It takes a couple days but the longer the chick goes without proper treatment or not getting enough nutrients the worse off he'll be. My vet leaned me a metal scope to get food a vitamins in easier for my last chicken emergency which I was so grateful for and will buy one to keep on hand for future use.

Agree 100% with this reply! I have a lot of experience with wry neck. It takes some time and patience. In my experience even when you see some improvement do be surprised with a set-back or two. Vitamin B complex also may help...I used human vitB complex crushed into moist food or water. Syringe or tube feeding is going to be necessary. Egg yolk added to moistened food helps a ton to get nutrition in. Excitement and stress seems to cause "spasms" that look like a seizure so a calm environment is important. Good luck!

I am looking at Selenium at Walgreens and the tablets are 200mcg, when I do the conversion it says that is 0.2 mg, am I reading this wrong or will I need to give several tablets to equal 25mg?
Any suggestions on how to force feed a chicken medicine, do I just hold his beak open (I am assuming this isn't an easy task) and squirt it in there?
I am pretty sure he is eating his regular food now because he has had several normal poops.
During the day when he is feeling good should I put him with his buddies in the run? I only have 6 chickens and none of them pick on the others. I have been putting himself outside in a cage alone during the day and bringing him in at night.
I called all the vets in my area and two knew some about chickens but acted like it wouldn't do any good to bring him in :(
I so appreciate everyone's suggestions!
He is definite better than a few days ago so I have hope :)

The selenium tabs I used were 50mcg and I only gave 1/2 per day. I used a syring to give medicine then realized my little guy loved cucumber so started putting his crushed selenium and vit B complex sprinkled on a 1/4 cucumber and he ate it right up. Worth a shot...melon, egg, anything he loves would work.

Back
Top Bottom