Silkie Chicken Unable to Stand

I started her on a multivitamin today in her water and she had no problem drinking it, which gave me a little hope. Her neck recently has been curling inward when she's on her side, which could be a sign of wry neck. None of the other chickens in my flock have shown these symptoms, she is the only one, so I don't believe she has Marek's. She is very skinny, and I have been handfeeding her and holding her up so she can drink. Without help, she is pretty much immobile. This scares me because I am going out of town in a couple of weeks, and though I will have someone checking in on the flock, I'm afraid that Pip (my silkie) won't survive while we're gone.
Check that the multi vitamin contains those 3 key ingredients. It may be worth talking to Casportpony about tube feeding her over the next few weeks to build her up before you go away. Anorexia is also a symptom of wryneck. Perhaps you could find a family member to care for her while you are away.

That's absolutely terrible, I'm sorry for your loss. I've started to feed her a crushed multivitamin in water and this seems to be helping a little, but other than that I don't know what's wrong with her. I don't suspect Marek's because my other chickens would have gotten it too. She is the only one experiencing these symptoms and I don't know how much longer she can go on like this.

Praying for you :hugs I hope you figure the problem out :hugs

Thanks for all of your help, she did seem better for a while, but unfortunately my beautiful Pip did pass away this week.

Back
Top Bottom