Silkie chicks attacking each other

abot87

Chirping
Apr 9, 2016
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi there.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced something similar?

My Silkie chicks are roughly 2 months old. Apart from the fact that they are too darn cute, they also appear to be somewhat violent toward each other. I've witnessed on numerous occasions that the go at each other to the point where they draw blood, not to mention the horrible screaming.

The screaming I can still live with as I've noticed that they are quite vocal when I handle them, but not so much the violent behavior.

I've attempted to assess who the culprit is, but it seems they take turns. Both cockerels and pullets are attacking each other.

They have ample food which provides the required nutrition. Water bowls are cleaned daily and they have roughly 50 meter squared between them (Mum, Dad & 10 kiddies) to free range in the front garden.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

ABOT

Usually game fowl of this age will turn carnivorous and require specific lodging to stop this behavior. Silkies of this age are usually easy to get along with but will not do well in a mixed flock because they can't see through all that poof that adorns the head. They can't see danger and will not get out of the way thus they can get picked on by other breeds. A few things that might cause aggression is lack of space, boredom, and poor nutrition. Let's see a photo of your chicks and what they are being kept in.

Hi there.

Below are the pictures as requested.

Do note that the silkies only use their coop for sleeping. The are let out at sunrise and only go back in at sunset.

Yep, those are silkies. However they don't seem to be in bad shape ie showing signs of being picked on. Are they having typical daily squabbles that chickens normally have? If the aggression continues you can try "Pinless Peepers" which are tiny blinders that fit on the bird's upper beak that limit the bird's vision. Otherwise you may have to determine who is being the bully and rehome her or him.

Back
Top Bottom