silkie chicks

alex

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
My silkie chicks are 3-4 weeks old, everytime i put the light bulb over them they peep really loud and when i take it away they huddle together! i dont know whats going on and i'm kinda worried. Oh, and my bulb is red, and 250w

-alex

Last edited:
250W is way to hot for 4 weeks olds. Do you have a thermometer in the brooder. They will only need about 70 degrees at 4 weeks old. I never use a 250, I brood them inside and I use a 100 watt for the first two weeks and reduce it to 75 and then 60 as the temperature get to where it should be for each week. You need to reduce it 5 degrees per week. If you are brooding outside then move the lamp up so it is not so close. I have some 4 week old chicks that the mother has finished with. It is warm enough here for them to fend ok with a group of 6 week olds. They snuggled the first few nights with another broody hen that has some even younger babies but she was not happy with them around her chicks during the day so she too ran them off.

I use the 250 because thats what I have.. but I move it as they get older.. I raise it higher and move it off to side that way they arent getting the full effect of it.. They adjust themselves pretty well.. The weather has been so warm here I have been taking the babies off heat at about 4 weeks.. they havent seemed to need it.. all have done just fine..

wow im a mean buggar then...i put all my girls and boys out in the coop at 3 weeks..no heat nothing...they are all doing great!

Hi, your chicks are too hot with that bulb. Before you got them they were under a 15 W flourecent bulb. (no heat as they are inside) Their siblings are being kept at 70- 75 degrees . They are probably scared which is why they are huddling. Their pen here is 4 feet by 8 feet. You will have to hold each one carefully for a few hours every day to get them to calm down. They do huddle together though normally. They were eating Purina start and grow. Is that what you have them on now? Make sure they are eating and drinking.

Oh, and these chicks are used to having the light shut off for them at night. They were being conditioned to living outside. They will sit in a pile but won't crowd. They will be fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom