SILKIE CHICKS

Lisa L

Songster
May 6, 2020
Walkertown, NC
Question concerning silkie hens. I've been reading about how they are excellent mothers and will even sit on other hens eggs. So I'm wondering if I added some chicks to the coop and monitored very carefully... do you think one of my two silkie sweeties would care for them??

Question concerning silkie hens. I've been reading about how they are excellent mothers and will even sit on other hens eggs. So I'm wondering if I added some chicks to the coop and monitored very carefully... do you think one of my two silkie sweeties would care for them??

If you have a broody one, there's a chance she would take them. I'd do it one at a time, sneak one under her, then another, etc. Another thing I did once that worked was I kicked the broody out of the coop, then put the chicks where she was sitting. She came back to her nest and sat on them just like they were hers.

If they are like two weeks or older, I kind of doubt she'll take them no matter what you do.

If you have a broody one, there's a chance she would take them. I'd do it one at a time, sneak one under her, then another, etc. Another thing I did once that worked was I kicked the broody out of the coop, then put the chicks where she was sitting. She came back to her nest and sat on them just like they were hers.

If they are like two weeks or older, I kind of doubt she'll take them no matter what you do.
This is great advice. Thank you so much!

Hey, I just recently added to my flock & got 7 silkies & 3 Polish chicks.. any idea what colors the 3 white silkies may be? I believe two may be white but I’m wondering if one could be a splash as it is kind of off white colored 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_2335.jpeg
    IMG_2335.jpeg
    391 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom