Silkie Cochin Cross

Smcd18

Chirping
May 15, 2019
Brevard County, FL
What would happen if I bred a pure silkie roo with a pure show quality bantam cochin? Would the result be a satin or do satin only come from smooth frizzled. To get satins should I get a frizzled bantam cochin?

I think the result would be a mixed-breed. I have heard that the roosters affect the look of the chicks more than hens so the chick may have some silkie feathers. I don't know about satins, but to get a frizzle chick you need at least one of the parents to be frizzled.

it won't have silkie feathering.

The 'satin' is not a breed, it is just a mixed feathering type between silkie and hard feathers. To the touch, this feathering is exceptionally soft and downy, but not like silkie fur where each strand is ragged.

Frizzle is something different. It just means a gene that makes feathers point up instead of down. Many breeds can have frizzle feathering.

I can post some examples as I have chicks from a silkie rooster over other breeds including a frizzle polish.

20201006_182921.jpg

20201006_182727.jpg

20201006_213354.jpg
20201002_122610.jpg

and of course the silkie frizzle polish cross, which you could describe as satin frizzle feathering.

20201006_210715.jpg

it won't have silkie feathering.

The 'satin' is not a breed, it is just a mixed feathering type between silkie and hard feathers. To the touch, this feathering is exceptionally soft and downy, but not like silkie fur where each strand is ragged.

Frizzle is something different. It just means a gene that makes feathers point up instead of down. Many breeds can have frizzle feathering.

I can post some examples as I have chicks from a silkie rooster over other breeds including a frizzle polish.

View attachment 2363899
View attachment 2363900
View attachment 2363904View attachment 2363905

and of course the silkie frizzle polish cross, which you could describe as satin frizzle feathering.

View attachment 2363906
Woah, I did not know this!

You could also get a random configuration of toes! Some of my chicks have 5 toes on each foot, some have 4. One chick has 5 on one foot and 4 on the other. And the black and red mottled chick you see in my pics has a weird 5th toenail growing out of the side of its foot, if you look closely!

Back
Top Bottom