Silkie Cockerel Went Broody...

They are ALL so pretty! Mystery would be solved if you could only catch the cockerel in the act! It’s tough to distinguish, I agree. My cockerel, Basil, showed behavior typical of a cockerel when all of mine were still the same size at about 12 weeks. He would quietly strut around watching the others. He was just different. Once they all got to be about 6 months, Basil began to grow larger than the girls, his tail filled out fluffier, and the lobes got a bit larger too. I love your photos! ❤️

They are ALL so pretty! Mystery would be solved if you could only catch the cockerel in the act! It’s tough to distinguish, I agree. My cockerel, Basil, showed behavior typical of a cockerel when all of mine were still the same size at about 12 weeks. He would quietly strut around watching the others. He was just different. Once they all got to be about 6 months, Basil began to grow larger than the girls, his tail filled out fluffier, and the lobes got a bit larger too. I love your photos! ❤️
I guess it's just a matter of time! Once all the rain lets up I'm installing a coop camera. I have to run an electrical cord to power it so, it makes me nervous with how wet everything is right now.

I guess it's just a matter of time! Once all the rain lets up I'm installing a coop camera. I have to run an electrical cord to power it so, it makes me nervous with how wet everything is right now.
A coop camera is an excellent idea! Also, here’s some photos of my Basil.
D5884C75-6887-4EA2-8EFE-2ECC856A671F.jpeg

42C1D729-334C-4DDC-B97F-3C84021725A6.jpeg

The first photos not too clear unfortunately ☹️

A coop camera is an excellent idea! Also, here’s some photos of my Basil. View attachment 2955195
View attachment 2955197
Definitely a manly man! He's gorgeous! Maybe my cockerels will eventually look more masculine, he's still pretty young especially for a slow developing breed. Yours looks a lot like the sire of my white silkie.
I finally braved reaching under the Broody and there's 4 eggs I could feel. I'm going to wait until about day 5 and candle. I did slip a for sure fertile egg under her today, I'll have to get the incubator going too, just to make sure there's a good end to this situation, hope she is a good Mama. Her Mom is an excellent Broody, I hatched her from my BFF's bird's eggs.

Thank you! The Broody is grumpy girl Imogen, right? Most Silkies definitely are good mothers. Sounds like you’re all set for some babies! My last Broody is a teeny weenie Silky Bright. She started out gathering eggs to add to her little clutch of 1. By the time I discovered her in her hiding spot, she was flattened out on top of 3 Americauna eggs, 2 New Hampshire Red eggs, 2 Sebright eggs, and her single egg. I candled them all at what I believed to be day 6-7, and there were 5 that were clear. Her single egg and another Sebright egg were fertile. I had to remove all the clear eggs from beneath that poor little hen. That left the two. She was such a great Broody. One egg died halfway through incubation 😞, but her own egg hatched just after Christmas! She’s an excellent mother. Since it’s Winter, I’ve had her in my cellar in her own warm peaceful enclosure with her new chick. She’s been through a lot, since she was also in a heavy molt at the time.

I have one white one, and one silked frizzle mutt with some coppery gold at the neck and breast area (that was one of the ones I originally thought was male but she squats and is barely getting a comb now). I went out and looked real closely, what I'm noticing that is different is this one has a much fluffier saddle area compared to the others. They are all tiny, maybe I'll weigh them too.
View attachment 2954564
I couldn't get a great photo, this bird does not squat for me, it runs off. It definitely doesn't act like a cockerel though.
View attachment 2954572
When I compare there's a noticable taper before the tail on the other birds.
The white one is definitely a female.
View attachment 2954584

Possible cockerel in front, weird mutt we named Emmy the Emu in the back. These two pal around all the time, I think the Frizzle lays the tan eggs, they have been all fertilized when I crack them.
View attachment 2954592
And here's grumpy butt. We have renamed her Imogen.
Okay, definitely looks like a female now I see better.

Thank you! The Broody is grumpy girl Imogen, right? Most Silkies definitely are good mothers. Sounds like you’re all set for some babies! My last Broody is a teeny weenie Silky Bright. She started out gathering eggs to add to her little clutch of 1. By the time I discovered her in her hiding spot, she was flattened out on top of 3 Americauna eggs, 2 New Hampshire Red eggs, 2 Sebright eggs, and her single egg. I candled them all at what I believed to be day 6-7, and there were 5 that were clear. Her single egg and another Sebright egg were fertile. I had to remove all the clear eggs from beneath that poor little hen. That left the two. She was such a great Broody. One egg died halfway through incubation 😞, but her own egg hatched just after Christmas! She’s an excellent mother. Since it’s Winter, I’ve had her in my cellar in her own warm peaceful enclosure with her new chick. She’s been through a lot, since she was also in a heavy molt at the time.
Poor gal! One is better than none! All that sitting, they definitely earn a baby!

Yes the newly named Imogen is the grumpy butt broody.
The newly suspected cockerel is named Asp (like the adorable, but painful caterpillar looking things) at least that one had a unisex name 😆

So, I didn't notice the Fayoumi was laying in the broody's nest box at first and I'm not sure the original eggs she was sitting on were fertilized, but I pulled everything out and candled when I noticed a couple weeks ago. She is currently sitting on 4 eggs that look like they're closing in on hatch day! I really hope she's successful because she's been sitting 4 weeks now because of the initial egg confusion.

Back
Top Bottom