Silkie Cockerel Went Broody...

MadamContrary

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Very South Texas
So I give up trying to sex these birds. I swear this was a boy! She (I seriously can't believe it) has been sitting for two days now. I know I have a male in the group because the eggs have all been fertilized. She is determined so far, can't get her to budge and she started ticking at me when I put food and water in front of her. I need to see how many eggs are under her, but she's pretty scary for something so tiny!
IMG_20220108_180706.jpg

View attachment 2954094View attachment 2954095
Okay so this is the other possible cockerel. I thought I had two boys and two girls until I regularly started getting 3 different eggs. You can see the Sheen and the tail better on this bird. The one that is sitting has the same color and tail shape, but this bird does have more fluff in the saddle area. They both have obvious combs compared to the other two who still have very flat combs.
Silkies are so confusing! 😁 I’d say girl for this one! The poof is nicely rounded 😍 so pretty! My Betty White gets super scary when she’s broody too 😆 I get nervous trying to move her haha, so tiny but so fierce! 🥰

I have one white one, and one silked frizzle mutt with some coppery gold at the neck and breast area (that was one of the ones I originally thought was male but she squats and is barely getting a comb now). I went out and looked real closely, what I'm noticing that is different is this one has a much fluffier saddle area compared to the others. They are all tiny, maybe I'll weigh them too.
View attachment 2954564
I couldn't get a great photo, this bird does not squat for me, it runs off. It definitely doesn't act like a cockerel though.
View attachment 2954572
When I compare there's a noticable taper before the tail on the other birds.
The white one is definitely a female.
View attachment 2954584

Possible cockerel in front, weird mutt we named Emmy the Emu in the back. These two pal around all the time, I think the Frizzle lays the tan eggs, they have been all fertilized when I crack them.
View attachment 2954592
And here's grumpy butt. We have renamed her Imogen.
Okay, definitely looks like a female now I see better.

Back
Top Bottom