Silkie Cockerel Went Broody...

If they’re mature enough, the roosters should crow to give you a good indication. I raise Silkys too. They are so adorable and sweet! In my experience only, the roosters are bigger, the lobes are more prevalent and a dark mulberry. I had one of my Silky Brights do a hatch-out 2 days after Christmas. During incubation, I would slide my fingers under both sides of her tiny flattened-to-the-nest body…. and lift her a little to check the eggs. She got a bit grumpy during that final week but wasn’t too bothered. She let me candle her eggs twice with no grumbling. I’ve never had a rooster hatch eggs, but I do believe it’s possible. The closest experience I’ve had to it is seeing a few of my Bobwhite males help the females incubate. Best Wishes with your impending hatch!!

What I'm looking for are streamers on the back of the head, but the background color blends.
Honestly, none of them have obvious streamers. But, two developed that green beetle sheen near saddle area and pointed tails. As well as sheen on the hackles, maybe it's just because they are black? They are about 7 1/2 months old.

IMG_20211229_125836.jpg
IMG_20211229_125835.jpg

Okay so this is the other possible cockerel. I thought I had two boys and two girls until I regularly started getting 3 different eggs. You can see the Sheen and the tail better on this bird. The one that is sitting has the same color and tail shape, but this bird does have more fluff in the saddle area. They both have obvious combs compared to the other two who still have very flat combs.

Love your Silkies! Mine are white. Behavior is a good indicator of sex if you are unable to tell by feather sexing. Close observation may be the surest way, at this point, to determine which one’s the cockerel. My cockerel is larger than the hens. Yours might get a bit larger as well. Let me know! Good Wishes!!

View attachment 2954094View attachment 2954095
Okay so this is the other possible cockerel. I thought I had two boys and two girls until I regularly started getting 3 different eggs. You can see the Sheen and the tail better on this bird. The one that is sitting has the same color and tail shape, but this bird does have more fluff in the saddle area. They both have obvious combs compared to the other two who still have very flat combs.
Silkies are so confusing! 😁 I’d say girl for this one! The poof is nicely rounded 😍 so pretty! My Betty White gets super scary when she’s broody too 😆 I get nervous trying to move her haha, so tiny but so fierce! 🥰

Silkies are so confusing! 😁 I’d say girl for this one! The poof is nicely rounded 😍 so pretty! My Betty White gets super scary when she’s broody too 😆 I get nervous trying to move her haha, so tiny but so fierce! 🥰
Silkies have been a real journey 🤣
Every time I think I've got them figured out they throw me for a loop! We cracked about a dozen eggs last night to confirm there are fertilized eggs, half were fertilized so there's a boy somewhere!

Love your Silkies! Mine are white. Behavior is a good indicator of sex if you are unable to tell by feather sexing. Close observation may be the surest way, at this point, to determine which one’s the cockerel. My cockerel is larger than the hens. Yours might get a bit larger as well. Let me know! Good Wishes!!
I have one white one, and one silked frizzle mutt with some coppery gold at the neck and breast area (that was one of the ones I originally thought was male but she squats and is barely getting a comb now). I went out and looked real closely, what I'm noticing that is different is this one has a much fluffier saddle area compared to the others. They are all tiny, maybe I'll weigh them too.
IMG_20220109_124326.jpg

I couldn't get a great photo, this bird does not squat for me, it runs off. It definitely doesn't act like a cockerel though.
IMG_20220109_124028.jpg

When I compare there's a noticable taper before the tail on the other birds.
The white one is definitely a female.
IMG_20220109_123901~2.jpg

Possible cockerel in front, weird mutt we named Emmy the Emu in the back. These two pal around all the time, I think the Frizzle lays the tan eggs, they have been all fertilized when I crack them.
IMG_20220109_123833~2.jpg

And here's grumpy butt. We have renamed her Imogen.

Back
Top Bottom