Silkie Cockerel's- Any worth keeping?

Quote:
You forgot grey
wink.png

Quote:
You forgot grey
wink.png

I was going to say Grey as well, it is recognized, but your two birds are not partridge, blue partridge or grey. I would keep the white if it was me for showing, giving the other choices I see, the white would be the best option.

Quote:
Not sure where you got this information but I assure you that you can't "get in trouble" at a show if a judge gets bitten by a chicken. I'm not sure how a child, other than the owner would get bitten at a show but that too would not cause a problem for the exhibitor. There is nothing in the process of judging that takes into account the aggressiveness of a bird.
The only exception I can think of is Old English Games where I expect a male to be aggressive. Most judges I know agree.
I know that many on here suggest culling aggressive males but I believe that's a mistake especially if you are breeding to show & you cull an otherwise outstanding male.

Those aren't the ones you got from me.... Those should only be about 3.5-4 months old. Personally only the white I'm seeing is the only acceptable color out of those birds. I honestly don't think that one is what I'd call top breeder quality either. They make cute yard pets, but for showing no. Even in 4-H you have to have colors/varieties listed in the standard of perfection.

Quote:
Nope, they aren't the ones from you. These are ones that I hatched from eggs bought on here back in Jan this year. The ones I got from you are doing great! I did loose one black but the others are thriving. Of the 3 blacks I have I think two are pullets and one is a cockerel. The other two both are a light blue and both are cockerels... I guess I didn't pick very well!
tongue.png
Ended up with to many boys! One of the black pullets is looking really nice, I can't wait to see what she looks like as she matures! My daughter has claimed her as the one she wants to start showing. Her first one was the white cockerel but with a crooked tail and his desire to chase my young laying pullets I think my daughter is making a good choice.

I think I will be finding homes for the three that I hatched out since they really aren't what I am looking for. I just don't know what color to call #1 or #2, I think they are pretty but don't fit with what I want.

Last edited:
I have done some research on the tail issue is a wry tail. It can be a recessive trait or caused by cramped quarters. Mine like to sleep in a big pile but they have plenty of room and free range during the day so I am thinking it is a recessive trait. With that being the case, I definitely do not want to breed them. To risky to pass on.

Back
Top Bottom