Silkie cockerels or pullets?

The fact that the splash is crowing and has that big of a comb for 12 weeks its boy and the paint is a girl. If a hen crows (and you know she lays eggs and does other hen things) she is in fact still a hen that is taking the role of a rooster (more than likely a hen will crow if there is no rooster but she can still if there's a rooster around) if a "pullet" crows it's more than likely a boy so far I've never seen a pullet crow and grow to be a girl

The fact that the splash is crowing and has that big of a comb for 12 weeks its boy and the paint is a girl. If a hen crows (and you know she lays eggs and does other hen things) she is in fact still a hen that is taking the role of a rooster (more than likely a hen will crow if there is no rooster but she can still if there's a rooster around) if a "pullet" crows it's more than likely a boy so far I've never seen a pullet crow and grow to be a girl
My splash has a beautiful crown but he’s 2xs bigger than the rest of the silkies, large comb, and the crow answered my suspicions. But, hearing from you has really helped. Thanks again!

Black with leakage is a cockerel
Partridge is a pullet
Paint I suspect cockerel but I need a close up comb photo(push crest back)
Your splash looks more grey to me, suspect this one is a pullet, but again need a clear comb photo.
Beautiful birds! 😊
@LadiesAndJane, you mentioned black with gold leakage is a cockerel. I’ve been looking online to learn more about it but haven’t seen much out there on this topic. Do only males have gold leakage?

@LadiesAndJane, you mentioned black with gold leakage is a cockerel. I’ve been looking online to learn more about it but haven’t seen much out there on this topic. Do only males have gold leakage?
I did not say he was male because of the leakage. I was going by comb. I know with male partridge silkies, you will see red over the wings/shoulders. It may very well be that the gold is a cockerel sign, but I am not versed enough in genetics to be certain. It is a topic I am interested in, but I am still learning. Let me ask if there are others who can comment.
@The Moonshiner and @Amer, any thoughts on this guy? 😊
black and gold (2).jpeg

Hens can be black with leakage, however, leakage in cockerels is a lot more common, and cockerels generally have more leakage than their pullet counterparts and get the leakage in sooner. Your silkie appears to be a black x partridge. Color crosses are common in silkies.
Also, your splash is actually a blue.

Back
Top Bottom