Silkie color genetics

chantels1

Songster
6 Years
Feb 24, 2013
Let me first apologize. I am trying to wrap my head around color genetics, but I am not getting it yet. We currently have 1 coop. We live in town, so that's all I can get away with. I would like to breed true. So picked blacks and have hatching eggs ordered from 2 reputable breeders.

I understand you can breed black to black and get all black chicks right?

I can breed black to blue and get black, blue & splash.

So I sell all the splash chicks or can they be bred to the black as well?

If I do have a black pen with blue in it, the likelihood of getting SQ birds decrease because the blue will be too dark on a lot of birds correct?

I know nothing yet about splash.

I have 3 girls showing and I know they would like to have more color options. So trying to make due with 1 pen.

Any advice?

You could run them all together. I don't think there is such a thing as the blue being to dark for show quality. I totally understand, genetics can be very confusing.
read this:
http://articles.extension.org/pages...or-small-and-backyard-flocks:-an-introduction
the "genetics of feather color" section will help.
That is very interesting. I didn't know blue*blue=splash. We have a blue rooster &bc hen. Got 1 blue colored partridge chick 2 whites & 3 blue or bc colored chicks. Now I am wondering if they will all grow out to be splash.

images-38.jpeg

:confused:Ok bumping this thread instead of creating a new one. I am a newbie here, so maybe that is incorrect, in that case please let me know and I’ll start my own :)

So my question is, what colour is my silkie hen and what would her genetics look like

B42C45AF-31BB-474E-A92F-5A8449CA7662.jpeg

The standard of excellence about gray says:
Color - Female Plumage
Head
Chinchilla Gray
Neck
Hackle - light gray streaked with darker gray.
Back & Cushion
Even shade of chinchilla gray.
Tail
Main tail and coverts same as back.
Wings
Shoulders, fronts, bows, and coverts same as back.
Primaries and secondaries solid even shade of slaty gray.
Breast
Light gray.
Body & Stern
Same as back.
Shanks & Toes
Slaty blue
Undercolor
Smoky gray of a shade not darker than top color.

Looking at pictures on here about gray, they all seem to be much darker. I even had to look chinchillas up online trying to figure this out, but of course that only made me more confused since chinchillas can be anything from lightest gray to almost black :confused:

So all you smart byc people, what colour is she and what do you suppose her genotype is?

:confused:Ok bumping this thread instead of creating a new one. I am a newbie here, so maybe that is incorrect, in that case please let me know and I’ll start my own :)

So my question is, what colour is my silkie hen and what would her genetics look like

View attachment 1664498

The standard of excellence about gray says:
Color - Female Plumage
Head
Chinchilla Gray
Neck
Hackle - light gray streaked with darker gray.
Back & Cushion
Even shade of chinchilla gray.
Tail
Main tail and coverts same as back.
Wings
Shoulders, fronts, bows, and coverts same as back.
Primaries and secondaries solid even shade of slaty gray.
Breast
Light gray.
Body & Stern
Same as back.
Shanks & Toes
Slaty blue
Undercolor
Smoky gray of a shade not darker than top color.

Looking at pictures on here about gray, they all seem to be much darker. I even had to look chinchillas up online trying to figure this out, but of course that only made me more confused since chinchillas can be anything from lightest gray to almost black :confused:

So all you smart byc people, what colour is she and what do you suppose her genotype is?

I am by no means an expert but I would consider her a gray, but too light to fit the SOP. I currently only have 1 gray pullet and even though she is hatchery stock she is much darker.
As for her genotype, if she truly is a gray, I know that she would have 1 copy of the Silver gene, which I'm told is all pullets have room for.

Back
Top Bottom