Silkie color genetics

Pics
G'day!

I am hopefully building a pen much like this one :https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=32956 for silkie bantams. I want white ones to show. I want to start of with 3-5, though with the area I have planned for it, following the bantam ruke, 2 square feet per bird, I could have 8 at the very max, though seven would be ideal. I'm going to raise it 3ft off the ground, and the actual pen is going to be 7x4ft, with a 6ft ladder. The run will be 20x4ft.
Would it help to keep them clean by closing in the weather side? And if I got a rooster in for a while, would it have to be white to get a white?
Sounds like a silly question, but I've had a palimino horse by a palamino stallion, and gotton a chestnut -.-

Quote:
The topic's title is SilKie color genetics not SilLy...
wink.png

Palominos are heterozygous for the Cream gene.
So next to palominos you can get cremellos and chestnuts.

I just got my first batch of silkies hatched out. I thought the silkie hatching color was their adult color. Do they change color as they get older? Mine all hatched with a almost black body and sort of gray butt and underbody.. Will they change.. I bred my little splash to a white rooster.

They are so cute......they look just like mine.....that are now 1 week old....mom and dad are both black.
But I'm new at this...but have looked up other black silkie chicks...and some of those pictures look
just like yours...

How do you get a gray silkie? I have 2 silver partridges and one I think is a gray but I wouldn't know what to breed them to. I would love to have true grays...but the color calculator thing is way beyond me. :) Can someone help me out here...in english? I also have whites, blues, and blacks.

This chart has some problems- there is no spangling gene ( as in spitzhauben), no sg black gene ( recessive black), no Lg or lacing gene, or Ab autosomal barring gene.

red + dilute does not equal buff
quail is wrong
ginger gene is the columbian gene

The term partridge can mean different variates to people on different continents.
E is not partridge
e^P is the same as the brown allele at the E locus
e^y is recessive wheaten and the males could be considered a partridge phenotype ( as in male polish green legged partridge or even a male partridge wyandotte) but the females will be a wheaten phenotype

Tim

I found this on the net it mgight be helpful..

From my experience and what I have been told white Silkies will throw black babies.. I'm not sure how you get the white ones so I'm experimenting with different colors..

recently i hayched out 13 adorable healthy silkies from my white silkies and come to find out somewhere along the line i ended up with 2 splash chicks.. i was wondering how that happpened and if i breed a white and a splash what will happen. thanks yall

Back
Top Bottom