Silkie color genetics

i was given a buff silkie pullet, and she has black feathers coming off her behind. what the heck color is she?

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the genotype on the greys?
smile.png

Yes, silver pencilled is another name for it. One more place where the name of the variety is different, but the phenotype is the same
roll.png

ohhhh ok i was hoping she wants a mixed "thing"

lol
thanks, trying to learn from this thread

Not sure what you mean?​

Last edited:
I have a question about Silky coloring. I have a blue hen and a buff rooster. If I hatch their eggs what could I expect? I wondered if they would have a lemon blue silky?

Lemon blue would be pretty, but I'm not sure you could make it from buff. I think lemon blue has a different diluter. The yellow is a bright lemon rather than a rich gold. You'd need to have the genes that restrict the lemon colouring to the proper locations. I'm not sure, but I think for lemon blue you would need E^R base.

Blue + buff will dilute the black pigment in the offspring who receive the blue gene. Buff offspring who would have black in the tail or wings will have a lighter, less noticeable blue. However, not all the offspring will be buff; you will get some blues and some who are an unpredictable mix. Some VERY nice buffs and blues have been bred using this cross, but there are also a lot who didn't make the grade.

Back
Top Bottom