Silkie color question

Well for one showgirl is a she so I dont think I can breed her with the female silkie lol. I got rid of the roo showgirl and the horses squished a couple of the other showgirls lol!

I'm popping in with a color cross question, hope you don't mind OP
wink.png

What is buff x lav?

How does a porcelain come about?

I've gotten myself confused again lol need clarification
big_smile.png

Colie <3 :

I'm popping in with a color cross question, hope you don't mind OP
wink.png

What is buff x lav?

How does a porcelain come about?

I've gotten myself confused again lol need clarification
big_smile.png

Buff with one copy of lav is just buff--no sign that the lav is present at all. Buff with two copies of lav is isabel.

Porcelain is mille fleur plus two copies of lav. At this point, porcelain silkies do not have mottle; very few mottled silkies available, but I am working on it. It has taken much longer than I anticipated, but I have a very nice young (almost) breeding pair this year, so I may be getting near to breeding it into the porcelains. Once that starts, it will take a minimum of two breeding seasons to get mottle in; probably more.

Genetic code for porcelain should be:

e^b (or E^Wh) asiatic partridge or wheaten
Db (and or Co) dark brownand/or columbian
Pg pattern gene
Ml melonotic
s+ gold
mo/mo mottle​

So does that mean split lav buff x split lav buff could create a Isabel?

I'm still a little confused about the porcelain creation as a color in general even without the mottle. How does the basis of that color start out? Mille fleur as I know it is a breed but is it also a coloration is silkies or is it an actual cross of a mille fleur with a silkie? Sorry to be a bother I've been searching for the answer how a porcelain comes about but I'm not finding the answer just seeing where people are talking about where it randomly is popping up in their pens.

Mille fleur is NOT a breed; it is a variety that occurs in a NUMBER of BREEDS.

Porcelain, in silkies is very much misunderstood. There are only a very few who have it right, and even then, it is a work in progress. In general, the bird needs to express both lavender and isabel to be considered porcelain. It should absolutely NOT express blue or undiluted buff (or darker).

A buff bird who is lav/lav will be isabel. A buff bird who is Lav+/lav or Lav+/Lav+ will be buff, and there is no way to visually distinguish between the two.

If you breed an isabel to a lavender, you will get porcelains--IFF you have the other genes needed to allow the bird to express both isabel and lavender.

A buff Lav+/Lav+ bred to a lavender is the same as breeding the buff to a black--there is no dilution at all in the offspring from the single copy of the lavender gene. However, they will carry a hidden copy of lavender, which can express in THEIR offspring if bred to another lavender carrying bird.

Back
Top Bottom