Silkie Color Question!

TeePants

Songster
10 Years
Aug 11, 2011
Soooo, we only have one highlander-eque egg that survived my first time incubating, haha. We called around and we couldn't find day-old chicks but we did get someone who had some month-old silkies in a few different colors... I figure if I keep them in a pen near the brooder it's better than being totally alone.

We're going out to see them tomorrow and we might pick up a couple. She has a buff that I'm really interested in (I love that color!) but the rest are a mixed bag of colors- I'm not sure if they're all from different hens or what. I have no idea if they are 'show quality', but should I be looking for anything specific? I don't suppose it really matters, but if I get bitten by the silkie bug and decide I want them for more than just pets it'd be nice to have something to start with.

I realize at a month old determining the gender will be kind of a crapshoot, so I decided to focus on color/conformation. Is there any particular color that would be 'better' to breed to buff? I realize buff x buff is probably the most ideal. Would I be better off getting a blue and a splash, or two blues? I think the options were, white, blue/black, splash, and the buff. And maybe a black. Gosh, I can't even remember anymore.

As far as QUALITY goes, what 'shade' of blue/buff/etc should I be looking for? And how much feather coverage? I think the ad said they had bearded and non-bearded, does that matter? Can you tell if they're going to be bearded or not at 4 weeks?

...Am I making my life a lot harder by worrying about these things?

Last edited:
i have got bitten by the silkie bug. before i totally hated them! but for show white is the best and the common. but if you want range and colour then i would go for tortoiseshell, splash and aoc. but really its what you like and you like buff. so do what you want.
smile.png

Oh, I didn't know one color was better over another for showing! I guess I'll keep that in mind. I know that white is genetically a 'masking' color, so I could ask the person who has them what colors the hen/roo were for the white. I could be lucky and it could be from some kind of buff cross, I don't know. Buff and partridge were my favorites from what I've seen, but I don't really even know what all colors they come in. I keep seeing mentions of lavender and I didn't know tortoiseshell was a color they came in either.

Guess I should keep on Googling, lol.

The only reason white might be perceived as better for showing has to do with type. Whites were the original variety, and thus for many years were the best type. This is no longer the case. I have seen awesome birds in all recognised varieties as well as ones not recognised. Last year's APA national reserve featherleg was a black silkie. I don't recall how many silkes were there, but there were 4500 birds, and silkies were well represented.

If you are looking to breed or show, birds with better type will fare best, so that is what you really need to look for. At a month old, you will miss some that will end up being really nice, but you may see ones that look like they have a lot of potential. Yes, you should be able to tell bearded from non-bearded. Your first assumption that breeding buff to buff together is best is correct.

yes thats right Sonoran Silkies. but in Oz whites are still common in shows, then aocs and buffs, partridges etc, etc. i want to get some blacks and enter them in some shows. but again to TeePants its really your choice. choose what you like. its what you like.

Thank you, I just found a few guides and the difference between a bearded and non bearded even at a month is pretty definite! As for type, I'm reading over the APA standard in the hopes that I can make at least a somewhat informed decision.

I guess I'll post pics when we bring them home today. Did I post tommorow in the OP? Forgive my insomnia, haha. And yeah, I just read that blurb about white being the best because it's the longest standing color. I still think I'm partial to buff, but if s/he's not bearded I might have to pass. We'll see!

Thank you for all the replies!

Ok, so I have no idea if they hold to any kind of conformation but they sure are cute!
love.gif

togetherb.jpg

The buff -
buffside.jpg

bufffront.jpg

The splash -
splashside.jpg

Back
Top Bottom