Silkie color

Gillfarms

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2023
What color is this silkie? Copperfield lines. I thought black when he hatched.. But now I'm thinking blue. But silver leakage? This one is confusing me and I'm trying to figure out what breeding pen to put him in next month lol it's my thinking of rooster correct?
VideoCapture_20240208-225157.jpg
color

Interesting. @NatJ should have some ideas!
Not really. I understand how the genetics are supposed to work, but recognizing them in actual chickens is more difficult for me.

What color is this silkie? Copperfield lines. I thought black when he hatched.. But now I'm thinking blue. But silver leakage? This one is confusing me and I'm trying to figure out what breeding pen to put him in next month lol it's my thinking of rooster correct?
I agree that he doesn't look black. He certainly could be blue. I feel like his color isn't quite what I would expect from blue, but I don't have enough experience with chocolate or mauve (chocolate + blue) to be sure whether either of them is more likely.

Silver leakage can happen on any blue chicken (or on black, or chocolate, or lavender, or anything else that is a dilution of black.)

Do you know what his parents are? Sometimes that can help figure out chickens that are confusing. Mixing colors can create some that don't really have names.

I don't know anything about specific lines or breeders, and sexing Silkies isn't my thing either, so I can't say anything useful on those points.

I'm trying to figure out what breeding pen to put him in next month

You would also need to decide if he is worth breeding. That would depend on how good he is in what respects (color, conformation, feathering, temperament, correct number of toes, etc.) Some chickens are good pets but not good choices for breeding more. I don't know Silkies well enough to have an opinion on the quality of the one you have.

Back
Top Bottom